Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oblivious Adolescent Autodidact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Hodson

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Oblivious Adolescent Autodidact Reply with quote

Hello,

My Name is Ben Hodson.
I am a 19 year old student, and I am currently working on my Masters degree of Education on my university.

A while ago I discovered my father's music collection which, to my surprise, contained a vast amount of classical music ( he usually prefers classic rock ).

I suppose I've always underestimated classical music, and never really gave it a go. Though I was rather surprised when I heard the first of his tunes- Rachmaninov's no. 2 op 18, moderato. I've only really listened to erik satie's gnossienes before but I was really surprised to hear that the violin is such a beautiful instrument.

After that I became interested and started searching for random symphonies by various composers. My knowledge of it all is not even worth mentioning- I know nothing about classical music, though I can't deny the fact that I've become eager to find out more.

And now I find myself attracted to the violin. I think it's a beautiful instrument and, regardless of my age and busy study curriculum, I'd like to devote myself to the violin.

Which has brought me to this forum. I admit that I might be severely underestimating the art of playing music. though I intend to take it very seriously.

I'd like to hear your advice as to what steps you think would be appropriate for me to take, and what things I should consider before I even start playing.

Could anyone give me a rundown of the basics? and I don't mean basics how to play- I'm not at that stage yet. But I'd like to know everything I have to consider, so please educate me! Smile

What kind of violins are there?
I dont have much time as a student, so would it be possible to teach myself how to play? (even though I'd be severely underestimating it)
I used to be able to play piano by reading tabs, but I'm afraid I've lost that ability. Before I even touch a violin, I'd like to teach myself how to read sheetmusic once more. Could anyone help me with that?

What's the best course of action for me to take?
What composers would you say someone should absolutely know to have a basic sense of what a violin is?

Or what pieces would you recommend I listen to to get an idea of violins?

I apologize if I appear to be very naïve, but I do intend to take this seriously.

Your help is appreciated! thank you very much!!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a rich introduction.

You are asking really good questions. I think by your post you already have a built-in appreciation for the instrument.
So you don't need to listen to anything else, but if you still do, youtube is rich with many famous players playing a
wide variety of classical music (and other styles as well). Here are some of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBY4pKP4oBo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fggcaYh9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmbFSiJzEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkw_Wi4yIo

and there are many, many others.

As far as learning to play, it's very important to establish proper hold of the instrument and the bow, that proper
balances are in place to prevent any tension. Tension is the worse enemy and spreads like wildfire once it
starts. If not corrected, you develop bad habits and it will show in the music you are playing. Playing should
be completely free of tension so that all the energy can be put into expressing the music. It would be good
for you to find a qualified violin teacher to start you off on this foundation.

Although more difficult, but possible, you can learn to play yourself using multimedia such as DVDs and videos.
You can also learn to read music in the same way. There are also many software programs that can help you
do this. I just found this link.

http://oneminutemusiclesson.com/2012/12/20/the-4-best-programs-for-interactive-sight-reading-practice-sheet-music/

You can even learn the violin using youtube but not everything is good on there. I like the lessons done here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXFdJ3rJFc

Another place to investigate are the music departments of your local university or a music and art school.
Every city seems to have an orchestra that is part of a music and arts association which is another place you
can check for information.

I try not to get stuck on any one method of teaching or playing, but be open other techniques. In that way you
acquire a number of skills with you.

As far as which violins are best, I would stay away from those cheap factory made violins sold for under $200.00.
Besides the sound being very thin and edgy, the violins tend to fall apart in the short run. You can get a decent
hand crafted instrument for around $300.00, and will last you for quite a while. The luthiers I work with have
been in this field for many years and we've found Eastman violins to have the best value for serious beginners
who want to study the violin in the long run.

You may see a list of instruments here:

http://www.violins.ca/instruments/violins/violins_eastman.html

Please contact me if you are interested in acquiring one.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oblivious Adolescent Autodidact Reply with quote

Ben Hodson wrote:
Hello,

And now I find myself attracted to the violin.

Which has brought me to this forum. I admit that I might be severely underestimating the art of playing music. though I intend to take it very seriously.

I'd like to hear your advice as to what steps you think would be appropriate for me to take, and what things I should consider before I even start playing.

I apologize if I appear to be very naïve, but I do intend to take this seriously.

Your help is appreciated! thank you very much!!

Ok - the truth?

Get yourself a decent beginning violin, and then, find a decent (beginning?) teacher.

I will add;
Good Luck - I hope that you truly and quickly fall in love with this instrument! As, it is a venture with many difficult, time consuming, but worthwhile returns.

ct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: