Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a 6ft long bow...help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saralynn

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Making a 6ft long bow...help! Reply with quote

Hello!
I am a current sculpture student. My work plays between a balance of visual art and music. I am currently trying to realize a piece in which I use a six foot (2 meter) long bow to play on a double bass. The idea is that it will be so long that two people will be needed to control the bow and one person to hold the double bass and finger the chords. All three performers will then have to work together in order to make the instrument play.

So, my first obstacle is making the 6 foot long bow. Because it is not possible to use horse hair or synthetic bow hair (i already contacted manufacturers) what is the next best option? I am planning to do some tests with polyester thread and nylon thread today. Is this at all possible?

Also do you have any tips for the rest of construction? Types of wood? Someone recommended Beech to me. Keep in mind I'm not expecting it to be the highest quality bow ever, but I really do need it to make some kind of bow sound.

Please any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
SooT

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you contact Incredibow.com. They make synthetic bows and use synthetic bow hair, they might be able to supply the length you need.
saralynn

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have contacted them before and it is not possible.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen videos of a player using a hammer handle, a hockey stick, the back of a saw, or any number of strange things for a violin bow-- so I seriously doubt that you have to have horse-hair...or anything similar. The issue will be whether the material will take the rosin and not damage the strings.

I think I would be tempted to try using thin stainless steel wire, or, possibly better yet, a narrow ribbon of braided Kevlar webbing.

I don't know how you are going to do it. It sounds interesting, but it seems you have gone out of your way to produce a problem for yourself. Good luck with it. Smile
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the bow hairs use a fine grade of nylon monofilament fishing line... but you will have to first run each strand thru fine grade sandpaper like 300 or 400 grit sandpaper or or some other method to roughen the surface so that the rosin will take. Experiment with a single strand tensioned in your hands and run it over a bass string to see what works best.
For the bow... I would use a stable hardwood like a straight grained maple ( because it is easy to get) but in order to get the camber, you may need to create the shaft by laminating thin strips to stabilize the shape. If maple is too heavy, try spruce, but spruce is very susceptible to warps and twists, so it will have to be built laminate style.
The above very basic and simple... but you can elaborate from there.

Sounds like a fun project... good luck... Mat
saralynn

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the suggestions!

I was experimenting today with some nylon monofilament sewing thread and the rosin seemed to stick pretty well, the sand paper is a good idea though.

Thanks again!
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sara...
The sandpaper definitely makes the rosin stick much better.... but sanding one strand at a time on all sides of the thread will be time consuming!
Would you be so kind as to keep us posted on your progress? It's an intriguing project... I'd love to hear of the problems you encounter, the solutions and how it finally turns out.
Cheers!... Mat
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look online and see what woods are preferred for archery bows (look up longbow archery). There is a short list of ideal bow-wood, and longbows are about 6' long, so... perhaps a longbow billet with the "head" of the violin bow laminated onto it, and so forth...the Frog is going to be fun to make.
SooT

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but would bamboo be a consideration for the bow?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SooT wrote:
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but would bamboo be a consideration for the bow?

Interesting.... But probably not in the natural round form... would be tough to fit a frog and tip... and how to get the camber?.
But I do know that "wood" flooring is made of laminated strips of bamboo and then is worked just like a plank of wood... so I guess in that form it would likely work.
I like Chets Idea of looking up archery wood.
Cheers, Mat
saralynn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions!
SooT

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the bamboo, it can be bent in its natural form it you think about the bend being in the baroque way rather than conventional bow cambering.
Will L

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saralynn,

If you are not aware of Vuillaume's "octabass" in the Paris Conservatory, you might check it out. It requires two players, one bowing and one fingering.
Will L

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saralynn,

If you are not aware of Vuillaume's "octabass" in the Paris Conservatory, you might check it out. It requires two players, one bowing and one fingering.
saralynn

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will -- I was not aware of it but I am now!

Right now, it looks like I will have to make a simplified bow. I will be using spruce with sanded nylon string, and I think I will just cut out a convex bow shape with two slots to run the hair through. I'll be sure to post the final results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: