Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Violinist D String troubles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aademarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: New Violinist D String troubles! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, im a brand new violinist and seem to be picking up the instrument quickly, and am loving it all together. I have a decent Sheng Liu violin im renting from a nice little music shop here in the Phoenix area, however i just found a bit of a wierd issue.

Playing the D String in first position weather it be open, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th finger sounds great, no problems. However (and believe me im not trying to change positions yet i was just playing around and noticed something the other night) if i try to play a note on the D String thats just under 2/3 the way down the fingerboard or more, pushing the string down because its further away from the fingerboard at that far down the violin causes it to completely sink beneath the G and A strings. I cant bow it unless i practically put my bow right up against the bridge, and even there the margin for error is practically 0. Bowing in the normal position, or even slightly closer to the bridge i literally cant touch the string with the bow no matter how i bow the D String literally sinks beneath the G and A string to the point its unreachable aside from bowing with the hair about an 8th centimeter away from the bridge which im not sure should be the case.

Im assuming I can quickly correct this by filing my bridge down a little more towards the E String side which it already slants to quite noticeable (i read this was supposed to be the case). I do notice that my bridge has about a quarter of a centimeter more sticking out on the G string side than on the E String side. It seems as though its ever so slightly off center, albeit perfectly straight up and down and perfectly straight left to right. Maybe just correcting that will fix it?

I dont want to start messing with things ive never done before until i get some opinions weather that should even fix my problem, or weather my problem is actually even a problem.

Thank you!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, based on the description you are giving, it would appear that your bridge is
not quite right.

While it is true that the bow is normally played closer to the bridge when your fingers
reach toward the end of the fingerboard (the high positions), at 2/3 the way, I can
play with my bow about 2 cm away from the bridge with no problem. The bridge is
one the most important things that must be set up right on a violin. It needs the right
shape, height and even weight. You should take your violin to a qualified luthier to
get it set up correctly.
1946DudeBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to play your D and A strings to the top of the finger board. If I play almost on top of the bridge, I can bow my D string, cleanly, at the double octave. I suppose the only reason to do that would be to play a double octave D scale or arpeggio. These folks have rented you an instrument that is unplayable. Return it to the rental shop and ask them to adjust (or replace) your bridge to a playable condition. If you end your rental agreement without doing this, expect to be billed for a bridge adjustment. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: