Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stradivari Exhibition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillyer43

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Stradivari Exhibition Reply with quote

I visited the Stradivari Exhibition today, which is on for 2 months in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, U.K. (I'm fortunate to live only 50 miles from there).
There are 21 Strads on display, including the "Messiah", the "Lady Blunt", the "Kriesler", the "Serdet", the "Baron Knoop", the "Alard", the "Habeneck" etc. In addition the "Archinto" viola and 3 cellos including the "Bass of Spain" are on display, together with a Strad guitar, a mandolin and a Dancing Master's violin.

It's without doubt quite breathtaking and anyone in the UK with any interest at all in violin making should go. The Ashmolean Museum website gives all the details.......John
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could visit the museum but it's not going to happen. It sounds awesome. I'm hoping to be able to purchase one of the books when they are made available to the public.

John, did you purchase one of the books? I think they were listed at £60 but it sounds like it is well worth it from what I've heard and read. I'm just curious what you thought if you did purchase one.

Thanks -
James
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I got the book in the mail a couple days ago. It was expensive for me, but not expensive for violin books, as you know.

Lots of really nice photos. I'd say it was worth it.

Ken
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken - where did you order it from? I did a search on Amazon but it didn't look quite right.
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I ordered it from the Ashmolean. Took about two weeks to get to my place in Idaho.

http://shop.ashmolean.org/Stradivarius-Jon-Whiteley/dp/185444283X
kubasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha. Makes sense to go directly through Ashmolean. Somtimes I'm certainly not the sharpest crayon in the box. I was looking at this link on Amazon which seems to be the same thing but the cover looks different.

http://www.amazon.com/Stradivarius-Charles-Beare/dp/185444283X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373688953&sr=8-1&keywords=stradivarius+ashmolean

Thanks for the info Ken!
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken!

Arches by chance?
hillyer43

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James....I did purchase the £60 exhibition book and have no regrets. It is very well produced with excellent photos of all the instruments in the exhibition. As I'm quite close to Oxford, I shall be re-visiting the exhib. before it closes in August. The opportunity to see such instruments for the average amateur maker is rare indeed.......John
Janito

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large-sized long arch views are unusual and interesting.

And I have found out that the Habaneck is by Francesco. It had left me with a 'strange' feeling a couple of years ago that I have commented on several times. Sounds F super.
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres, no arches, no real measurements of any kind. There are both side views of the instruments, showing the long arches, which is interesting. In addition to the typical straight-on photos, including all 4 sides of the scrolls, there are some oblique shots.

I don't have any one book that shows Strads progressing from early to late in such detail, so that was useful to me.

Also interesting to me was to see just how offset the eyes(? ears?)* of several instruments were. The Messiah in particular. I had not noticed that asymmetry before. Perhaps a slightly different angle here than, say, the Strad magazine poster. Or perhaps I just didn't notice it before.

* Too early in the morning, and I can't get my terms straight. Anyway, not the straight-through-the scroll dowel, or barrel, shape that is mentioned in Courtnall and Johnson.

The book itself is hard-bound, about 3/4 inch thick. It is large format, a little bigger than 8-1/2" by 11". Not life-size, but contains full instrument shots as well as front and back details. Clean photography. Some introductory material on Stradivari and the Hills, with some nice historical photos there, including one of Casa Stradavari as it was in the 1870s.

60 UK pounds, plus 20 pounds shipping. Plus my bank's International exchange fee. Total for me was about $125.
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Ken said about the catalogue. I too was surprised by the asymmetry of the scrolls. Many of the F holes seem to be set at different angles relative to the mid line as well. I wish they had included measurements, but I guess you can't expect the Biddulp Del Gesu book for the price.
I'm envious of those that have ready access to this exhibition. Perhaps you can give us some tidbits. Are the asymmetries as apparent in person?
violinarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Green wrote:
Are the asymmetries as apparent in person?

I don't think symmetry was a goal.
Speed seems to have a higher priority.

http://apollo.ram.ac.uk/emuweb/php5/media.php?irn=1197
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: