Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bow Re-Hairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Bow Re-Hairing Reply with quote

When re-hairing a bow, has anyone ever tried separating the bow hair hank
and mixing the hairs up so about half are going one direction and the other
half the opposite? If so, did it improve the tone or playability of the stick any,
or was there no noticeable difference?
I hope someone has, because I am the world's worst bow re-hairer, and would not get any dependable results at all.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bow Re-Hairing Reply with quote

Jack Rushing wrote:
When re-hairing a bow, has anyone ever tried separating the bow hair hank
and mixing the hairs up so about half are going one direction and the other
half the opposite? If so, did it improve the tone or playability of the stick any,
or was there no noticeable difference?
I hope someone has, because I am the world's worst bow re-hairer, and would not get any dependable results at all.

Yes, I tried doing it that way for a while, just to see if I thought it was a better method - but not to much avail, and not for long.
I did go back to putting the slightly discolored, and slightly weaker end of the bundle of hair, at the tip end of the bow.

The frog mortise is not only capable of holding more hair (while the slightly discolored end of the bundle is quite a bit the smaller in diameter of the two ends) but the frog is the end that puts more pressure on the bundle, as far as pressure from playing the bow goes, so, that is the end that gets the "bright", or stronger, thicker, end of the bundle... (the frog - that is)

It just seemed more to the point to orient the bundle as it was (apparently) always done classically.
That's my opinion and practice at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: