Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "Burning" Question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: A "Burning" Question... Reply with quote

...as opposed to a "burning question".

I have always liked the way wood looks after being handled a hundred years or so. The wood generally does not look exactly tanned, but has a slight coral or salmon cast to it (not pink!). I have always supposed this to be a chemical reaction to human perspiration over decades of wear, but it may be from another reagent and I may be jumping the gun.

I would appreciate any feedback from others on how to duplicate this, or more accurately, how to induce this appearance into new work. Any advice on burning, outside of sun tanning, would be greatly appreciated as I greatly wish to improve this scope of my work and I am not satisfied with my progress so far.

As always, I appreciate this forum and the contributions that are made by everyone here.

All the best,
Paco
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: A "Burning" Question... Reply with quote

rs wrote:

I have always liked the way wood looks after being handled a hundred years or so. The wood generally does not look exactly tanned, but has a slight coral or salmon cast to it (not pink!). I have always supposed this to be a chemical reaction to human perspiration over decades of wear, but it may be from another reagent and I may be jumping the gun.

All the best,
Paco

So, are you asking about still varnished areas, or worn to "bare wood" areas?

ct
rs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bare wood before any sealer, ground or varnish is applied.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs wrote:

Bare wood before any sealer, ground or varnish is applied.

Hmm, very interesting.
Should I assume, then, that the wood you're referring to, is unused wood - perhaps still in billet form? old but un-carved or unworked at all, as of yet??

And the carving process does not change this visual quaility, or wood color when you start to work it?
Apparently the wood is or has become this color through and through by virtue of age?

Very interesting - I'm not sure that I have ever dealt with wood like this, or seen this phenomenon in violin or luthier building materials. Which is not to say much, as I deal with mainly domestic wood (billets) - at most thirty to forty years old.
Any "aged patina" gets lost as soon as the piece starts to get worked.

Sorry.

Anyone else WITH an applicable answer?

ct
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, I think rs must mean on a white instrument before any sealer or ground is applied.

I don't know a short answer to your question rs. Chemicals like oxidizers come to mind as a way to make the wood look old but there is the risk that goes along with them.

I have used antiquing stains that H Core sells and they can look pretty good. I always wonder what is in them though. Core sells several kinds and in case you have not tried them, they are each a little different and the color can develope over time (day or two) and whether you use uv light...
I only do the neck with them these days and then I still do other things, like maybe a walnut stain or similar, on the neck that is.

Anything I put on the wood always reflects how I have prepared the wood, especially the scraping of the spruce. And the scraping of the spruce always reflects how well I have sharpened my scrapers, in other words things add up, as you know, I'm sure.

This last violin I put a couple of washes of fresh plaster of paris on the bare wood, smoothing after each coat. Call it a mineral ground , which it is, a tsp to 3/4 c. water. It is also alkali and oxidizes the wood some while at the same time increasing the contrast of the wood. It seems to seal the wood pretty well and when a clear coat of oil varnish or my version of a 'balsam ground' goes on it the plaster turns transparent and the wood color goes to a amber/grey, evenly I should add. It seems to help 'fix' the wood ( the p-o-p), especially the soft spruce so that it doesn't 're-compress' if I rub it.

I'll put some pics up in the other thread pretty soon, but you have to remember that the p-o-p ground is just a part of the process
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
Craig, I think rs must mean on a white instrument before any sealer or ground is applied.

Oops.

Ok, I get it now.

Well, if this discussion gets going - I'll be watching it for any methods that seem unusual, effective, or inventive.
I've never had convincing result with stains for this type of *ageing effect* on bare wood. Not for lack of trying, though.
Maybe I simply haven't tried the correct dye or stain yet?

This seems to be an interesting area of "antiquing" that I've been into before, without any real or convincing answers coming forth for a realistic old wood look... Under the varnish. (or even, just the wood surface with no varnish)

Now I see where the idea of "flaming" or cooking the wood is coming from - a mechanical method of creating a convincing look of age on bare wood?

Interesting.

I have never tried it, but I do have plenty of extra wood to experiment on.
Will report back.

I admit that I almost missed the original intent of the question being asked. Ok, so I'm a tad slow on the uptake.

Great subject to take up. I hope this subject continues and some creative thinking shows up!
rs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, those are good suggestions for me to experiment on. I have found the same problem with stains that you mention. I am looking for a way to add color to the wood as created through time (oxidation as potassium permanganate might do on a neck, for example) but also through handling (as 100 years of sweaty hands might do).

Craig, this gives a clearer idea what I am talking about, I think:
http://archive.music.ntnu.edu.tw/chimei/v-Ita0067.html

The color in that instrument is almost entirely in the wood, not the varnish, as wear replaced the varnish. I have seen some very fine color created through human contact and the color it often creates has a slight salmon cast to it.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Burning" to me is when a stain clogs up the pores and capillaries to give an unsightly dark pattern. I asked about staining in another thread. Any suggestions on avoiding this?
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that sun tanning or light box tanning gives the best color with Joe Robson's tinctures in his ground system a close second. I don't like the looks I got using oxidizers or stains, but perhaps I wasn't doing it correctly. It takes a long exposure to light to develop great color but it sure is nice if you have the time. I confess to being impatient.
Some of the best color I've seen in untreated wood was in wood that cattle have used as a rub, maybe oils from their coat combined with sunlight, but it looks exactly like the worn areas on old fiddles.
rs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you apply raw turpentine to the areas where the grain is open, the ends for example, this often impedes some of the irregular color that telegraphs, "stained" or "stripped".

The actual color I am looking for will color the fiber and not just the pores, not unlike potassium permanganate or nitric acid might, for example, but with a rosier cast and without turning the instrument into a violin shaped wicker basket as in the latter chemical.

The cattle rub is a good description.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Green wrote:

Some of the best color I've seen in untreated wood was in wood that cattle have used as a rub, maybe oils from their coat combined with sunlight, but it looks exactly like the worn areas on old fiddles.

rs wrote:

The cattle rub is a good description.

I have to agree.

If any of you figures out what they used...;
I haven't recently read what I believe is a correct answer for this online, or perhaps, its more correct to say that the truth may have been discovered already, or, at least a product that creates a suitable substitute for producing a look that is suitably "old" under the varnish...

I do recall something from a while back that (was it Becker ?) was common place, for this application - but exactly what it was has escaped me (well, like many facts having to do with this pursuit have escaped me in the last year)
So - there may well be an answer online, for a (sort of universally accepted) chemical undercoat (somewhere), but for the life of me I cannot remember where or what.

Many things like this are coming back to me - once I remember that there's a question in that area that needs answering. If (or when) I recall what it is I'll spill.

In the meantime I'm going looking in some of the places where I used to post commonly and look around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: