Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repairing a split head
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, this took me about 3 hours this time, if I have to do this again, I might be able to do it in an hour or so. Anyway, I gave the bow back and said that'll be $30, the owner cringed. She thought I was just going to glue it back on.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure hide glue won't do the trick on pernambuco... and I have never been confident with CA glue in stress situations. I've always in recent years used a spline, but I am tempted to try the G2 epoxy and let it set for a week before stressing the joint.... maybe I'll have to break a head on a cheap bow to have one to experiment on!

Cheers!... Mat
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
By the way, this took me about 3 hours this time, if I have to do this again, I might be able to do it in an hour or so. Anyway, I gave the bow back and said that'll be $30, the owner cringed. She thought I was just going to glue it back on.

I'll never forget MD's comment that he does not charge for his time, just his knowledge and skill... and that makes a lot of sense, so I price based on perceived and market value because I don't have a lot of knowledge or skill:). I will say though that I never send a job out without doing something as a "no charge" like tightening, lubricationg, adjusting or cleaning etc.

An hour or less sounds about right to me unless you do a lot of them... but $30 and she complained!... good thing she did not come to my shop where for a basic bow, that repair would cost $60 minimum. Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: