Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Bending of Violin Ribs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Cold Bending of Violin Ribs Reply with quote

[Edit by Michael to fit new title]
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think I share the same thoughts as you do, especially the part about violin making.
I enjoy hearing about what others are doing.
And now that I have figured out how to post pictures you will hear from me more often.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
Hey, I think I share the same thoughts as you do, especially the part about violin making.
I enjoy hearing about what others are doing.
And now that I have figured out how to post pictures you will hear from me more often.

Thanks Don.

Yes, I am thinking that photos are really NECESSARY, in order to go beyond mere talk. In particular, with beginning makers, but really, with many things we discuss - beginning or not. I know they've (photos that is) helped me immensely. If I can see it, I can usually do it, or I can understand it.

Very cool - I was very impressed with your finish work.

Onward - this should prove to be an interesting voyage, long or short, what does it matter? - either way, we'll see. ...
DonLeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the day

ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
Picture of the day

gotta love it.

I did notice the table in the background - the one with the bending iron on it. Nice flame on the edge banding.

Your shop looks something like mine does.

Makes me realize that there are people out there (well, you for one), with the same obsession as I have...

Interestingly enough, I too have bending forms for bending the ribs. They are slightly different than yours are I believe that I'll post a picture of them here.
It's a method I learned years ago, and since then I have bent with the form. I still use the iron, but not like I used to.

Nice picture - I'm happy that you can now post photos - cool, isn't it?
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Mostly harmless obsession Reply with quote

Remember the joke about "How many classical guitarists does it take to screw in a light-bulb?" (answer: 25--one to screw in the bulb; 24 to grumble that they could have done it better...) I have seen that trait among luthiers as well, but it seems to be mostly dormant here...maybe even mostly missing.

And I love it.

[Michael's edit to fit new title]
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mostly harmless obsession Reply with quote

Chet Bishop wrote:

And I love it.

Yes, so do I.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a picture of your forms for bending ribs CT.
The ones above are my take on Sam C's demonstration years ago.
I even got around to making enough to do a whole garland and some forms for linngs as well, it's neat to bend 4 linings at once!
Of course once I get all that stuff out my brain says 'hey make a bunch of garlands so that is what you see there.
[/u]
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
I would like to see a picture of your forms for bending ribs CT.
The ones above are my take on Sam C's demonstration years ago.
I even got around to making enough to do a whole garland and some forms for linngs as well, it's neat to bend 4 linings at once!
Of course once I get all that stuff out my brain says 'hey make a bunch of garlands so that is what you see there.
[/u]

I was around Sam way back when also (I have to wonder if I ever met you back then?), when Francis Cox (among others) were showing him their rib bending forms, Francis was showing his full (top and back) plate bending mold also, and, I believe, at that time Sam was making bent half plates, along with some of the other SCAVM or (God what was that bunch that had a competition in Arizona every year? I should remember, I was a tone judge there for some years running...) and joining the bent plates had a really bizarre method of alignment just before gluing... I believe that Sam went back to carved plates fairly soon after that. (I never left them, bent plates were never attractive to me - then or now, but bent ribs, yeah, I still make them that way.)

It's wonderful that you mention Sam.
The violin making world will rarely have anyone in it as cool and proficient as Sam was.

Ahh, memories. They lead to the present though, always, and it's sort of why the present is so interesting . Bending forms are a sort of throw forward from that past stretch of time, and that's one reason why I love seeing them in someone else's shop. They remind me of the old days when I went around in search of other makers who were, hmm, genuine I guess is the word.

Sorry to get caught up in the past - I'll post pictures of them (the bending forms, that is) as soon as I can get some rib material into them, so I can show them working, cool?
I bend the upper and lower bouts in sets of two, do you - or do you bend them separately?

Inquiring minds want to know.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

The violin making world will rarely have anyone in it as cool and proficient as Sam was.

and creative, genuine, and thoughtful...
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And kind...
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Bishop wrote:
And kind...

D@mn! - I knew there was an attribute of his that I left out!

Yes, Sam was a genuine people person, that's for sure, and someone that I admired....
kjb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting those pics, I am interested in the from bending process, can't say as I have heard of it, any pics and or explanation would be great I would like to make a set up myself. .kevin
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a whole article on the SCAVM website by a fellow named Fischer (Fisher, maybe?) with photos, etc. Maybe Al Fisher? Can't recall. Quite an old article...check their archives.

I made my ribs this way for my first dozen or so instruments, not counting the double bass, for which I made a heavy aluminum bending iron (torch-heated).

Some of you may recall a maker named Jake Jelley, from Vancouver. When he retired from making, he sold me his tools, and I now have a "real" bending iron. Smile
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Ok you guy`s Reply with quote

How do you manage to bend more than one rib at once or
am i not reading the post correct I have to put in a lot of nasty words in to get one right at times I have to take some of that medicine by the thimble full that CT talked about on another post Enjoy seeing posting of pic Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: