Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Bending of Violin Ribs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton wrote:
Anyone mind if I change the name of this thread to "Cold Bending of Ribs", edit it a bit to reflect that, and make it sticky?

I wouldn't mind at all - please, go ahead and change it.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the editing and making it a new thread.
I should make it clear, in case it isn't, that I have to use my bending iron with considerable heat to make the ribs conform to the form.
Craig, I didn't realize until just now, are you bending your ribs without heat?
I just read the SCAVM article and it describes using an iron.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
I don't mind the editing and making it a new thread.
I should make it clear, in case it isn't, that I have to use my bending iron with considerable heat to make the ribs conform to the form.
Craig, I didn't realize until just now, are you bending your ribs without heat?
I just read the SCAVM article and it describes using an iron.

Sorry that I didn't answer this sooner.

You're talking about the forms that I use to wet bend the ribs right? yes - no heat is used in that process. At least that's the way I learned, and the way I bend with the forms.
The ribs are bent with pressure and water only. The plastic I put between the upper and lower bout ribs - is that so I can bend two ribs to the correct form at one time. If I don't use a strip of plastic between them, the ribs tend to want to stick or bind a bit, one to the other. Otherwise, they could (or perhaps should) be bent separately, one at a time.

I'm going to bend the two C bout ribs, which are bent separately, and show that being done.

Please - ask away - to me this is an interesting process to do and to share, and I'm more that happy to answer any questions about it.

I'm also going to add a brief discussion about what I would consider the the weaker aspects of the process are, because there are some areas where a bending iron is really helpful.
Not strictly necessary, but helpful.
In particular, with people who like to use thicker and/or heavily figured ribs - I think that the cc bouts, in any case, can be formed much easier with the help of an iron... because the bends are much more "compact" or "curved" than the upper or lower bout ribs are.

Oh well - that's what I've found to be the case. Other opinions may vary on the different aspects of cold bending. I guess it would depend on how much you (meaning anyone) lean towards this as a primary method.
byacey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok you guy`s Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

First I wet them through, then I put a scrap of plastic in between them, so they do not grab one another and are able to slide past one another, thern I put them in the form, and slowly tighten the tight part of the curve that is where the block is, down, and put clamps on the large curve (which would bend around the mold fairly easily anyway), but what the heck, might as well get them curved now.

Then I let them dry in the mold for a day or two, or until I'm ready for them. Usually I'll put them outside in the New Mexico sun to dry... I believe that being outside helps the wood somehow - perhaps it simply helps things dry out completely.

My mentor taught me something very similar.

He would throw the cut rib stock into a pan of boiling water for about five minutes, and then quickly pull them out with tongs and bend them on the forms. We used a stainless steel sheet metal backing, and clamp the ribs in the forms between the form and the backing. Then he would toss the whole thing into a 200F oven for an hour or so. The ribs had very little spring-back if any, after removed from the forms.

I mostly use a bending iron now, but for really highly figured rib stock, the hot water method works better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: