Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thicknessing Ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LPVest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Thicknessing Ribs Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Larry Vest. This is my first post ever on a forum. I'm not an amateur. I'm whatever would be two notches below that. I have started my first violin and having trouble in the first steps. The curly maple I bought came in 5mm thickness. I have tried planning with block plane with normal blade, I made a toothed blade, I have scraped and used a spindle sander, (I had extra wood). I cannot get my ribs completely smooth. They still show what appears to be saw kerfs. They are smooth to a point, but still have ripples. Any advice?
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How thick are the ribs now? If they are the right thickness you can just smooth one side and you'll be in good company, Guarneri Del Gesu's ribs showed roughness on the inside at times.

I assume by 'ripples' you mean marks from the toothed blade? If its waves following the curl you need to change the angle of the scraper so it doesn't follow the curl over and over.

You also probably need to work on your scraper sharpening technique (you want shavings, not dust) and maybe your scraper technique itself.
LPVest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Thicknessing Ribs Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the different angles. I have been scraping in one direction.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry and welcome to Lemuel's Violins violinmaker's forum.

I noticed that you are in the mnts of Va., there is an event this sat. possibly not too far from you -there will be lots of instrument makers there displaying and hanging out. You might enjoy it. I will be there, my first time. It seems like a good informal place to pick up some tips and make some friends.

http://www.happyvalleyfiddlers.com/

Don
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on the northern part of the Va Blue Ridge I'm near Washington, Va. Glad to give you a hand.
Cliff
LPVest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Thicknessing Ribs Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. I am in South West Virginia 30 miles S.E. of Roanoke.
I'm sure I'll take you up on the offer of help.
Larry
okawbow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thin ribs with a very sharp, slightly convex scraper. With the proper "hook" on the scraper blade; I can remove a lot of wood per stroke, and get the ribs to thickness quickly.
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Don,

Too bad I'll miss you. I've been to Happy Valley every year so far but decided to stay home this time for various reasons, mostly that I can't take much heat anymore. It took me about two days to recover last year.

Lyle
kjb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will have to learn the joys of sharpening,"scary sharp" is a good method that is fairly cheap to get started with, unless your plane blade or scraper is very very sharp you will not have much fun. good luck and welcome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: