Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple Purfling Jig Arrangement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Simple Purfling Jig Arrangement Reply with quote

I needed to have a more secure arrangement for cutting the purfling channel on my violin back and came up with this simple, perhaps not unique, design. I thought I would share it with anyone who might find it useful. It worked very well for my project. If you can't open the link below, you can find the drawing at
Famuswood.blogspot.com

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsch2d23cv6b563/Purfling%20Jig%20with%20Labels.jpg

Last edited by famuswood on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
kjb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could not get your link to work.
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Wondering if anyone was able to get it. It worked fine when I checked it.
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjb wrote:

Kjb, Try it now
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famuswood wrote:
kjb wrote:

Kjb, Try it now

Sorry Kjb,

All I get is a blank page also.
Do I have to down-lode something, or sign up or in for something to get a result?

sorry,
ct
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Sorry Kjb,

All I get is a blank page also.
Do I have to down-lode something, or sign up or in for something to get a result?

sorry,
ct

The box does have the title; Purfling Jig with Labels. jpg

But no pic shows.
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the problem loading the pic. You can find it at famuswood.blogspot.com
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famuswood wrote:
I apologize for the problem loading the pic. You can find it at famuswood.blogspot.com

Very interesting, Corliss.

I can see how it works, and I can see that it's a well made, well designed jig, but I am wondering why have the Dremel holder secured by the wooden arm, rather than just handle the Dremel holder by hand?

Either way - there seems to me to be an equal amount of being very careful, and controlling the plate and cutter when cutting.

Is it that you'd rather move just the plate in relation to the cutting bit, rather than the cutting bit in relation to the (loose) plate? Either way - looks like clean work.

Inquiring minds want to know.
famuswood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it is about reducing variables. I have to think about making sure the plate is moving snugly against the jig and also make sure the plate is firmly against the working surface (table), that is all. Now I have two hands with which to move the plate around allowing me to hold the plate steady and secure. I can remove one hand to initiate or stop the power source easily as I have an external power switch within easy reach. placing the cutter bit at the right place happens before the power is engaged, and I can lower the bit into the channel carefully when it starts spinning.

Still you know, it is such a personal thing how different people approach this task. It has to be about what makes you feel the most confident of success since this is such a risky business, as all fine craft work is. I say if it make you or anyone more comfortable to use the channel cutter jig by hand, I would do it that way. I really appreciate your comments.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famuswood wrote:

Still you know, it is such a personal thing how different people approach this task. It has to be about what makes you feel the most confident of success since this is such a risky business, as all fine craft work is. I say if it make you or anyone more comfortable to use the channel cutter jig by hand, I would do it that way. I really appreciate your comments.

Cool, I suspected this answer, as it makes sense to me. I would suppose that my question was prompted by the fact that I have done it by moving the plate and the cutting jig together, from the start and it seems an easier method to me...

Still, it's a cool jig - something I might well have invented, or considered, if I had thought of it way back when, and perhaps I would not be doing, exactly what I do now...

Thanks for posting it.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:

Thanks for posting it.

Listen, if you can learn how to post photos, (I know what a pain it is, but there's a sort of out-dated post about the methodology in the making section... that will give you an idea how) keep on with your project and with posting.

As you, or if you, bother to get an online photo site, to uplode your photos to, if it's flickr, I could show you how I do it.

I understand that it's a chore and the answers to your posts might seem, well, not exactly what you're looking for (rather sparse or, hmm, how should I put it?). But as you post, more and more people (actual makers) will post back regarding what they see.

It's a great opportunity to get in and help shape a violin making forum yourself.

Look, I'm just saying...
famuswood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ct, I noticed that a lot of people who attempted to view this topic are running on windows based computers. All my stuff was created on a Mac. The graphic I posted works fine on my Mac but evidently does not work on a PC. I don't know this for sure, since I have not had any feedback from those who were able, or not able, to open the link. It would be good to get that feedback so I could try other options. Any further insights are always welcome. Thanks very much.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It opens fine on my PC. Pretty elegant fixture...simple and functional.

Well done.
violinarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will work.

http://famuswood.blogspot.ca/2013/08/i-am-in-process-of-making-another-violin.html
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original opened fine for me, when you first posted it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: