Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginer; Need Help With Jumping Strings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rightbackatyou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Beginer; Need Help With Jumping Strings Reply with quote

I've been playing violin for about 2 months now and it seems I've hit something of a wall in that I'm having trouble with the fingering when switching from notes on the D string to notes on the A string.

I have difficulty smoothly moving from say G or F# note to A, B, C#. I've been practicing on this one exercise in my book (All For Strings) for about a week now and still can't seem to play the song smoothly at all.

Is there some kind of warm up song or exercise that I could do that would give me alot of practice moving between strings? The Meow-Mix song helped me alot in moving my fingers correctly on one string, now I'm looking for a song that could help me practice jumping from one string to the next, something that I could do for like 10-15 minutes each morning before I start doing my exercises out of the book?

Thanks a million.
BARRY S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RightBackAtYou,

Welcome to the forum Smile

Glad youve had loads of help on "FiddleForum", surprised nobody on here has answered you Sad

Im pretty new to it myself. I have lessons, tried for a while on my own, not an easy instrument to learn. I dont find crossing over too much of a problem, depending on what im trying to play & the tempo Cool
Slur & play it cool!
BARRY S.
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, BackatYou - This part of the forum has been pretty slow lately, though with your help it might get back it's groove!

I play the viola, but I think that some of these basics are the same for violin - I'm assuming you mean you would like to change strings more smoothly during a slur? On one bow? (Otherwise I don't believe there would be a problem.)

You can try changing strings at the tip of your bow, if you are using a downbow. Or, try staying at the top third or so of your bow if on an upbow. Maybe this will help.

There are a lot more experienced players on this board than I am, so I'm hoping you receive a lot more replies.

Good luck! Smile Shirley

PS In case you do mean that you are having trouble moving from one string to another using seperate bow strokes, perhaps a few minutes of merely bowing open strings would give your muscles the idea - not a bad exercise to practice anyway!
BARRY S.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley wrote:
Hello, BackatYou - This part of the forum has been pretty slow lately, though with your help it might get back it's groove!

I play the viola, but I think that some of these basics are the same for violin - I'm assuming you mean you would like to change strings more smoothly during a slur? On one bow? (Otherwise I don't believe there would be a problem.)

You can try changing strings at the tip of your bow, if you are using a downbow. Or, try staying at the top third or so of your bow if on an upbow. Maybe this will help.

PS In case you do mean that you are having trouble moving from one string to another using seperate bow strokes, perhaps a few minutes of merely bowing open strings would give your muscles the idea - not a bad exercise to practice anyway!

Nice one Shirley Smile

Maybe Shirley & I will prompt others to post Cool
Slur & play it cool!
BARRY S.
Amalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: scales again Reply with quote

Well, I hate scales, but you can practice a lot of things using scales.

It's been a month since you first posted, are you still having problems? How are things going otherwise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: