Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing The Violin With No Tapes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtuoso77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Playing The Violin With No Tapes Reply with quote

Hi guys. I'm what I would call an intermediate level violin player, and I'm wanting to work towards removing the four finger tapes. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can prepare myself to do that? How long should I wait? Thanks!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you consider yourself to have a good ear? Because that's what you'll need to
remove those tapes. Developing the skill of intonation takes time and patience
like anything else. I suggest a technique I learned three years ago from another
forum member who happens to be a great violinist (Anton Polezhayev).

Before removing those tapes, see if you can take your 1st finger (index finger)
and slide from one note to the other (on any string), checking as you go up whether
you are on the tape or not. Try to hear the note as you are sliding up the fingerboard.
Go higher up the fingerboard if you can. Then take your 2nd finger and do the same
thing. After that try it with the 3rd and 4th fingers.

After you are comfortable going up the fingerboard, try starting from higher up in
the fingerboard and slide down instead. Check often to see if you are on the tape
or not. You might want to purchase a tuner which attaches to the your violin scroll.
This would be much easier than tapes. You can get them here.

https://www.violins.ca/accessories/tuners.html

Practicing in this manner helps you develop intonation and shifting positions at the
same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: