Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bow taper: a tease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seammc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: bow taper: a tease Reply with quote

I think I came up with a new horizon

Take a long and wide rubber band, cut to one long piece, trim it to some workable taper ..stretch it out and measure the resultant and put it on a useable scale...

Slightly parabolic? if the taper on the trim is a little progressive, then it winds up looking like a changing locus (skip the math)

Jim
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.... whats the connection to violin bows?...
Cheers... Mat
seammc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mat

I have been measuring a bunch of bows with regard to how the various tapers do or don't sense (to me anyway).. some are straight forward and others are a little weird
Those that are not straight forward can be replicated to some degree playing around with the rubber band .. It may not be all that important to just about every body but me but when I see something like this I have to explore (and keep it simple)
I don't buy into the Math, .. e.g. W. S. B. Woolhouse..dia.... .2[log.(h+7.25)-9.8100], as most bows have been made without ever grinding through the Woodhouse logic
I know that experience and intuition have brought the bow making art to the point that it is to date
And I would like to know "how Come" .. Hence experiment (and avoid the Woodhouse cookie cutter approach)

could be all wet (won't be the first time)
Jim
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many people sell violin templates, not enough people sell bow templates.

Don't ask why I threw this in this thread Smile

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: templates Reply with quote

I know the answer ... the (bow) tip and frog are the signature parts of each bow makers effort and each maker is different

A Strad is only made one way .. hence templates

Jim
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: experamentation: a little different Reply with quote

In the “how come” department:
The stick that I’m working on is curling up like a banana. It is in the direction of the arch...
The curve is about 11 mm deep and 80% of it matches the form that I made from the bow that I'm trying to replicate. The tip portion needs a little more bend
On reflection, it is due to the way I’m working the wood and I may be able to get the tip to creep a little more (the experimentation part) and skip heat bending ... that would be different...

Jim
wm_crash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand making something different, but still need a good reference starting point. I've been trying to buy some old/vintage/fake/counterfeit bows on eBay, but they always go over my self-imposed limit. Probably using a chinese bow as a reference isn't the greatest idea.

cheers,
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: bows for reference Reply with quote

Did you try the back room of a music shop sometimes there may be a surprise there Or perhaps a swap meet? If its old its worth looking at

The best old bow that I ever got was part of a mini hustle. I ordered a bow from Sears & Roebuck,($ 19.95) when in arrived ..no new bow, some one had stolen the new bow and slipped in a wall hanger (covered with cooking grease and grime)

I cleaned it up and surprise, surprise, It was a very good quality bow with no makers mark ...They are around, all you need is a little luck

I wouldn't expect much out of the Orient ... great for modifying to see if it can be done i.e. reshaping or some such, and use as a basis for a build, but that is a real 'Hail Mary' ..

All bows are really are a spring with hair on it, some good, and some not... Like all things, a good maker just plain 'has a feel' for it (that 'feel' is not something that can be packaged and peddled on the street corner)

Keep pitching
Jim
wm_crash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Carleen Hutchins who said something along the lines of "People don't like me because I put numbers to their magic". I am looking for the bow numbers Smile

As a perspective on my case, I am coming from the hobby woodworking world, and have a little one who wants a bow made by dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKDy_Qjx-C4

She's still at half size, and I am slowly working on full size. That should give me time.

cheers,
seammc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I am looking for the bow numbers Reply with quote

One small problem ~ the numbers and the arch really go together for the best effort
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: