Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie stumbles into opportunity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cswymeler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Newbie stumbles into opportunity Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I am a woodworker by hobby. At an estate sale this weekend, I stumbled across a complete set of tools, forms, jigs, templates, schematics, clamps, books, veneer heating table, etc...for making 2 different sizes of violins. I bought the kit for the "cool" factor, but really have no understanding or valuation of what I am looking at. I am hoping that someone on this forum can help bring understanding of the treasure that I stumbled across. I have a few pics that I would be happy to send or post, but I am not sure how to do that. Thanks!
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cswymeler

I'd be very happy to help you unwrap your treasure... ask away about anything you'd like, and I'll try to answer you here. Did you also get some violin making wood, included in this trove?

In violin making, real making that is, and not "kit" mentality thinking or making, the most important factor you have is wood, wood orientation, wood quality, and etc.

Where as kits very often have sort of properly made parts, the belly and back are usually only generally of the correct type or orientation of correct woods, or quality woods, they provide a beginners opportunity to feel like they have really made something.
Which, of course they have.
But if we're talking about making a REAL violin, well, we'll get into that if you're game.

Cool?
Cswymeler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ctviolin

Thanks for your reply. I didn't see any wood that came with the grouping. There may be some in the box. I really only found all the other stuff (tools, clamps, jigs, etc...) There was a large amount of crazy shaped knives and bent tools that looked specific for creating parts of the violins. there are 2 smaller blocks that contain small blades that I assume are for scribing. Here is an image of the grouping together. (Let's see if I can get the image to show)

[/img]http://instagram.com/p[/n06GaihPYY/]
Cswymeler

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, how do I post a photo?
Here's the link to the image:
http://instagram.com/p/n06GaihPYY/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: