Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you notate Bird calls on the violin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Bacos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: How do you notate Bird calls on the violin? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was commissioned a piece for piano and orchestra, and since the piece is based on a traditional romanian folk piece in which there is one section where the musician must imitate bird sounds, I need to follow that tradition in my composition. However, I need to notate on a staff the bird calls for them. Anybody would know how I can notate this? What exact range is it on the staff? Is it done with harmonics? etc.

Here is an example, at 2 min 2 of the violins imitates bird calls.

Dinicu: A pacsirta

Thanks a lot!

Guy Bacos
http://www.guybacos.com/
wm_crash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut Guy,

That specific song you linked to is "Ciocârlia" (The Lark). I could not easily find sheet music for it, but if I am your only hope, I can contact some musically inclined friends back home in Romania.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
Guy Bacos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect many replies with solutions and at the moment you would be my only hope Wink so definitely it would be very helpful if you could find out. To my knowledge there is no sheet music for the Dinicu "Ciocârlia" piece, and if there is, it is well hidden, and I'm pretty sure, the birdie bit is left to the soloist to show off his talents, so I wouldn't think this part is notated. It just seemed to be passed on by ear over the years and generations. Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: