Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camel hair mop brush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Camel hair mop brush Reply with quote

I just varnished my latest violin with a 1" Camel hair mop brush and I'm extremely pleased with the results. It carries the varnish well, leaves no brush marks, no hairs left behind. I think its a great brush, and here's a link to where you can get them for under $5 for the set of 3, the more you order, the cheaper. the only negative I can think of, is that it pull a lot of varnish up into it. I don't remember where I got this piece, but may order a set to get the smaller ones for varnishing into the pegbox and scroll areas. In fact, I think I'll order 5 or 6 sets and have a fresh set for each violin I complete.

http://www.artistpaintbrush.com/royal-cc-camel-mop-artist-brush-set-rcc-231-p-363.html?osCsid=d6b5c5ab00c5fc3a2cd3afd07ea37cec

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I use something similar that costs about $20 and looks no different.
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you posted this. I've been using a 30mm wash brush but it's a heck of a lot more expensive than these!
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of fiddles ago I got a Loew Cornell 3/4" Maxine's Mop for $8 at Michael's. It did what Dave says on the first one. I am not great at cleaning brushes, so it didn't work as well on the second one. I've tried some extreme measures to clean it this time and am presently rinsing with water. The water still gets cloudy, so I'm not done.

However, if I don't get it cleaned properly I'll buy some more. Eight bucks is pretty cheap for a good finish, especially considering that my varnish is almost free.

Edit: Went ahead and ordered some of the ones Dave showed.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Mop brush Reply with quote

I ordered 3 sets, total $17 including shipping and taxes.

I clean first rinsing in turpentine, then put a big dollop of GOJO in the palm of my hand and working the brush for a couple minutes in it, then rinsing in cold water, squeeze out water, and shape and set aside to dry. So far so good, I've used it for two coats now, and its staying nice and flexible and fluffy. You can also get what they call PINK SOAP at an artist supply store that artists use to keep their brushes clean and soft, but still a good rinse in clean turpentine or other brush cleaner. These would also be great for spirit varnishing, as you can probably do the entire top in 5-6 strokes.

There are a number of varieties of GOJO on the market, what I'm using now is a thick green liquid with small amounts of what feels like pumice in it. If you can find GOJO for "painters" was even better for cleaning the brushes, but I've not been able to find that version lately, just the stuff for mechanics. It has lanolin in it, but I don't think that will be an issue if well rinsed.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three sets of camel hair mops came today. Great service. I THINK I also got the Maxine's mop clean, but can't be sure until I try it. I started with turpentine, then mineral spirits, then paint stripper, more mineral spirits, then GoJo, then soapy water, lots of clean water and finally acetone. It feels very nice, but not sure it's like new. I'm sure I can cut out some of those steps and skip to the acetone, but I'm still learning. Much as I hate to throw away nice brushes, I may end up doing it.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple green concentrate is the best thing I have found, after a little rinse with mineral spirits, the simple green and alternate water rinses. Give it a try!
DonLeister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some mops, Maxine's, I think I ordered them the day before you started this thread Dave.
I'm hoping they will work with spirit varnishes, I always brush them on. I don't usually brush oil varnishes on but once in a while, like today I put a final coat on with my new mop. The varnish applied great but I wish I had cleaned the new brush first, I got a lot of dust or something in it.
Funny, when I put the same varnish on with my fingers there was no problem with dust!
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Varnish brushes Reply with quote

I'm having problems with my new batch of brushes that I had recommended --- I'm getting a lot of hair coming loose. Next use, I'll use my air compressor and make sure anything loose is removed and hopefully that's all it was. Maybe should have done that first before using.

L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint. I should try one out on scrap. I remember reading somewhere about filling the brush inside the ferrule with something like shellac or super glue or maybe something else to help prevent hair loss. Anybody else remember that and the details?
kjb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, let us know how they turn out in the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: