Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making My First Bow, also.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone give me some more insight on the Bollander book? How traditional vs automated is the approach? I have Henderson and Kun & Regh, so it's OK to describe by comparison.

thanks much,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About as different as can be. Henderson uses all kinds of unique approaches, and seems to have come up with his own methods and tools. Kun & Regh try to mechanize as much as possible. Bolander stays pretty much with the French methods, but doesn't explain everything, I think.

I don't know that any of them really explain enough to help you make a bow, without one-on-one tutoring. But maybe I'm just a needy student. And everyone does things a bit differently anyway. I thought Ed's thread on making a bow was really helpful, and he studied some with Bolander. But I believe he'd say he doesn't do everything the same way as Mr. B.

When I began putting all the resources together here in that thread, I thought that the amalgam of everything together might be enough to help me--or someone--make a bow. I can say now that it wasn't enough. I really needed someone to look over my shoulder and correct me. And a chance to see someone else work, who knew what they were doing.

The video I've most looked at lately is the one by Petitdemange, because it's pretty much how I was taught, and is the French method. I think there are still important steps left out, or zipped through so quickly that they're easily missed. And he explains nothing. No words are spoken. There are some captions in French, though.

Sorry if this is TMI!

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: