Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workbench Top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubasa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Workbench Top Reply with quote

This isn't entirely violin related but I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion. I just finished making a new workbench. It has a solid wood top. I've been reading on different workbench forums and it seems there are two camps. One to treat it with an oil like tung oil and others that leave it "as-is". I will be using this bench entirely for violin making. Any suggestions or does it really even matter either way?

Thanks-
James
kjb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about this some time back on mn, like you say both camps out there, I ended up putting one coat of tung oil. man that stuff stinks! my wife nearly killed me, so I did nothing else to it. so the idea I got was it did not make much difference. you will probably spill stuff on it and that will stain it over time .
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large section of my bench top covered with white Formica.

Tradition? No, I do not think so, but I love the working surface provided. and the other half is a raw wood face. Both sides are chronically used by me.
ctviolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:
I have a large section of my bench top covered with white Formica.

A large seamless sheet.
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: How about just a quick coat of shellac? Reply with quote

Just something to seal the raw wood.

www.wallindependent.com
actonern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sealing it with something like tung oil has the advantage of more easily scraping off dried glue drops and other "impregnables".

Depending on how thick your top material is, you'd also want to seal the bottom surface if doing the top. Just good shop practice, and tends to keep the wood from warping due to uneven moisture absorption/rejection.
kubasa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the replies. I finally did find that thread on MN, kjb. I still haven't entirely decided what I'm going to do. My top is 3" thick so I should be able to plane it down every now and then if I need to! Here's a pic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_c364T3AaWmUUVRTU14dlpKcG8/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by kubasa on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sealed mine--they usually seal themselves with all the varnish materials I spill on them. Every once in a while I'll spread on some boiling water, and scrape the whole thing down a bit, which keeps most of the. . . . uh. . . . . . patina.
Will L

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when we got a new bench in the College of the Redwoods class. Boyd Poulsen immediately brushed some varnish on it to christen it. I know why, because when I bought a new bench it was hard to not treat it as furniture for a few days. Now it's finally getting to look like a serious bench.
Will L

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how this got printed twice, so I'll erase the content that is in the post above and tell my idea for new cars:
I think every new car should leave the factory with a big scratch put in the side; because the minute you get the first one it is not as likely you'll get another one soon.
I usually get about $800 worth of body work within the first 200 miles. It's uncanny. Very Happy

Last edited by Will L on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
kubasa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up putting some Danish oil on it. I'm happy with out it turned out.

Will, I christened my workbench over the weekend. I set down a cordless screwdriver and left a nice grease smudge. I have no idea where the grease came from since I don't use my cordless around cars or engines but well, I'm glad that first ding has happened and I can move on!

James
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: First ding Reply with quote

kubasa wrote:
I'm glad that first ding has happened and I can move on!

Reminds me of a new car I bought back in the early 80s, so proud I left it in the driveway instead of the garage. That night, big storm, shingles flying off the roof, gave my new car a nice buffing. Got that out of the way real fast.

My workbench, on the other hand, looks like it came from a flea market. Never thought about sealing it, always getting a beating, not respected, but well loved.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: