Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All things chamfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: All things chamfer Reply with quote

So here's a chamfer thread. Now we can be on track.

Here's one more that's worth including: "An Overview of Bow Tips from Tourte to Sartory," by Matthew Wehling. He presented this in 2008, and it was published by the VSA in 2012. He briefly discusses chamfers, and how they might have been made by Peccatte, in particular.

I think the transcript of Yung Chin's presentation on chamfers is a must-read, and the only one of its kind, to my knowledge. Otherwise, there are many references to chamfers scattered throughout makers' blogs and in general discussions about makers and making. Charles Espey's blog has some excellent references, as Nick pointed out.

As Mat surmises, there seem to be recognizable differences in the chamfers between different makers, schools, and national origins. Nick, thanks for pointing us to the site that explains differences between makers. I guess everyone needs to decide what kind of style they want to have, and what method they use.

Bob
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as to not lose the chamfer related comments in the previous thread entitled "Charles Espey blog 10-7-2011".. I've copied and pasted here:

whatwasithinking
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:59 pm Post subject: Re: French chamfer Reply with quote
Mat Roop wrote:
On a violin bow head, can anyone tell me the characteristics of a french chamfer vs Italian , german or british?
Thanks... Mat

Hi Mat,

I'd be interested in that, too. I've never seen an Italian bow, except a photo of one reputed to be by Stradivari. Are there some around?

In 1995, Yung Chin did a presentation about chamfers at a VSA conference. One interesting statement he made was that even French makers used files to smooth out the chamfers, although they began the cuts with a knife. I know that some have claimed that the old French masters used only a knife. IIRC, Mr. Chin suggested that you could often spot a German chamfer because they would file every hint of the knife cuts off, until the chamfer was very smooth. And that seems to be a primary indicator of French bows--they left tool marks behind, while the Germans didn't.

Yung Chin also said he believed Pajeot was left-handed, by the way the chamfer was cut.

And I know nothing at all about English chamfers. I think I have one English bow. I'll have to go and look at it. Might you have some chamfers to look at?

If Ed's around, I know he has some very old bows, maybe from France. He might offer some interesting insights.

Bob

Edit: Yung Chin, and not Morgan Andersen, had spoken about Pajeot being left-handed.

whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I'm a dog with a bone.

I looked at several French bows, and several German. I'd say that the left and right chamfers on every French bow were cut differently from each other, with different widths and even a slightly different taper. The right chamfer was almost always wider than the left, looking down the stick from the frog.

Some of the German bows were also different, but the difference was usually more subtle. Some of the German bows were very symmetrical in the way the chamfers were cut. None of the French bows were like that.

Please note that I claim no expertise on this at all. I read some statements by authorities, and looked at some bows. That's it.

Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
My humble apologies....to the OP, and others... I had intended this to be a new topic... don't know how that happened.
And thanks WWIT... good stimulative thoughts. A chamfer is such a simple matter, I had never given any thought to it, until someone mentioned it and to my disappointment, he (an expert) would not clarify.. so I am on the search.

BTW... can a moderator move these last posts to a new thread??
Thanks, Mat

whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured that Charles Espey must have written about chamfers.

Nick Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem. It is an interesting subject. I'm often out of my element when it comes to the vocabulary of bow making. An illumination is a good thing, even if it's off topic.

Last edited by Mat Roop on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WWIT... any idea where I can get a copy of Yung Chins presentation?
Cheers, Mat
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll just have to join the VSA!
Cheers, Mat
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most of the VSA Journal articles are available on line, but you can't download articles--just browse, a page at a time. I visited a university library to find articles of interest. And I got some back issues on CD from the VSA. A couple of articles related to bow making have been posted on line by the authors, and I added links to those. There are also some very helpful articles in The Strad, and you can find some of those at libraries that have the "Academic Search Complete" database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: