Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

learning to rehair a bow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: learning to rehair a bow Reply with quote

Hi can anyone tell me what kind of wood you use for the wedges when rehairing a bow, can you use the old wedges or should you always make new
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am not familiar with many of the European woods, but here in the states I use what is called poplar ( or tulip polar ) which really is not a poplar at all. It is a tad softer than most European maples that I come across.
The poplar would be used for the head and frog blocks. What most people call the wedge is the spreader wedge at the ferrule.
For that I use basswood which is even softer than poplar. It compresses easily, willow might work, at least the North American kind.

Last edited by DonLeister on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ian... You can use the old plugs assuming they are properly made and fit well... but I never do. I always make new plugs... gives me greater confidence in a good fit and my work always reflects the same standard.
Plugs are made from poplar (also known as tulip), soft maple, willow or basswood ( also known as American Linden), and I suppose from many other woods depending on the archetier's personal preference. My favourite is poplar.
Orientation of the plug is important. Wood expands at different rates in different directions, so you want least expansion to the sides of the mortise side wall.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/tricks/how-to-calculate-wood-shrinkage-and-expansion
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: learning to rehair a bow Reply with quote

Thank you Donleister and Mat Roop, that Information is very help full. so do you think there's a difference in the wood you use in the USA and Canada compared to the UK?
This will be my first attempt to rehair a bow I have what I need except the experience. Smile
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian... good luck on your first attempt! I don't think that the wood you use is of great consequence because the amount that is used is quite small and the range of woods used in NA ranges from quite soft (basswood) to soft maple which is significantly harder.
If it were me, I would start with European Linden which I think should be common in the UK. I have some growing in my back yard and from the feel of the texture during pruning, I think it should do.
To me getting a tight knot on the hair is important and getting a satisfactory job took me a while. I use 3 successive "constrictor" knots. The first I use the twisting method, and the others the rope end method.
http://www.animatedknots.com/constrictor/
cheers... Mat
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mat I will keep that in mind, are there any UK Bow makers of violin maker on this forum? Question
SooT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just moved from the States to Devon, so we are still a long way from you. Brought our USA wood with us.
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Soot, we have messaged before how's the work shop going?
SooT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workshop nearly up and running. At least we have uncovered most workshop items, and the violin and bow making books have their own bookcase finally.

Sally is going on a bow making course, teacher is Andrew Bellis. Thought it would be good for networking.

Things sure are different over in UK, there is no big wholesalers like Howard Core, Nova Strings, and International Violins, really miss them.

Connected with Paul Reap in Newton Abbot. He's a restorer and not at all interested in bows, so once Sally is up and running and we can show him her work, he said he'd pass on bow jobs.
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: learning to rehair a bow Reply with quote

Soot thats great News, I'm really pleased its working out for you, you never know our paths might cross at some point. Very Happy

Last edited by Ian Deveney on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SooT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be up as far as Callendar one of these days, a Cuz lives there.
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: learning to rehair a bow Reply with quote

Give me plenty notice, if we can hook up then it would be nice to have a chat
Nipi2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: learning to rehair a bow Reply with quote

Ian Deveney wrote:
Hi can anyone tell me what kind of wood you use for the wedges when rehairing a bow, can you use the old wedges or should you always make new

The best wood for making wedges is cedar. Cedar can take the exact form of the hole, because of its smoothness and it looks extremely nice. From the time i used cedar, i never looked at any other wood for rehairing.

Last edited by Nipi2 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian Deveney

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Nipi2
Nipi2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Deveney wrote:
thank you Nipi2

Please take care tha vains of cendar to be horizontal. Not parallel with the bow. When you put them horizontal, the wood expands and full up the hole.
Thank you too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: