Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rare books for violin bow making

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nipi2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Rare books for violin bow making Reply with quote

I found from forum discussions that "Violin Bow Making, by John A. Bolander" and "Making a Violin Bow, by Frank V. Hederson" are the best options, as i would not like to use energy tools (like described at Joseph Regh's book). But i cannot find them nowhere. Just at some library catalogues but not close to my country. Does anyone has idea how can i have a copy? It would be great for me if somebody could give me an opnion on how find these books. Thanks

Last edited by Nipi2 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those books are like gold dust. Suggest you go through the Resources sticky, there is lots of info and links there.
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep telling my wife, they're better than any retirement fund stock market investment. That and pernambuco.

cheers,
Cosmin
Nipi2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers. I read the Resources sticky and it is great. Pernambuco is really hard to find and also very expensive. Now i make a bow from padauk wood. I found ironwood at the metro lines (they use it for railway construction). Snakewood also i am trying to find. Is copying a good method to make a bow?
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying a maker? I think that's the best way. Copying a bow? Not so much. It's definitely helpful to have a good model to look at, but just attempting to copy a stick, frog, and button might make things more difficult.

Maybe you can decide on one thing you want to try first. Say, make a stick, and attach a pre-made frog and button. That's probably what most teachers have their students do, but I know makers who started by making a frog. That was what the students did in Bernard Ouchard's famous class in Mirecourt, in the 1970s.

Learning without hands-on coaching is difficult, from my experience. I tried it, at first. Some teachers begin by having their students make a baroque bow, which is simpler, especially with the frog. Making everything at once--stick, frog, and button, not to mention hairing it, can seem overwhelming.
Nipi2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copy a good Bazin certified old bow. My father was a violin maker and very good hand in restoring, but he never tryied a bow. So, i decided to try. But 1. I dont have the Bolander or Henderson book and second i dont have any experianced bow maker somewhere close here. Is there any other good book suggestion? Thanks everybody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: