Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polishing up/Making the wood shine again on my violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niceties55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Polishing up/Making the wood shine again on my violin Reply with quote

I have an older violin (over 100 years Smile that is starting to look a bit dull in the wood and I was wondering what I can use to polish the body and the fingerboard up?

Working at a guitar shop, I use guitar polish on the guitars there and they do great on them, but I know the finish is different on a guitar.

I was wondering what the best way to shine up my violin (and the bow for that matter Smile

Thanks!

PS. First post!!
fjodor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
For the fingerboard you can use a little tripoli and linseed oil and rub it in with a cloth.
I'm not an expert on instrument polishes but I have sometimes used a product called super nikco on my own instruments with nice results.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the super nikco, as long as there are no open seams or cracks. I have never tried it on bows but it should work as long as you keep from getting it on the hair. Well, it may not do so well on the metal either.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don... do you know what is in the Super Nikco polish... I searched everywhere and can't find any info..how do you know that it does not contain silica or abrasives?
Cheers, Mat
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat, the suppliers I deal with advertise that it has no silicone, I take it that is what you meant, rather than silica? I know that many shops use it and I have not heard of any problems. It doesn't seem to be very abrasive.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don, yes I meant silicone... I've been south in the sun and must have fried my brain.
Thanks, Mat
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Cleaning and polishing Reply with quote

Something that won't hurt wood, spirit, or oil-based varnishes, but could be used as a solvent to soften and remove accumulations of dirt on a varnished surface, would be a vegatable or wood-based oil. I've used olive oil, with a little elbow grease on a soft rag. Check your cleaning rag from time to time to make sure you're not getting any color other than grey (dirt).

Something like linseed oil (a "drying oil") will form long-hydrocarbon molecules that will form permanent layers on the wood, so that's out as a solvent.

At Hobby Lobby, I've bought a 4 ounce bottle of Walnut oil, but it too is a "drying oil" so can't use it in this application either.

Lemon oil, if its pure, is good cleaner. Apricot oil is good if you can find it. So is groundnut oil but some folks have deadly allergies to peanut products and there may have been cross-contamination.

When I was a kid, my teacher, a very old retired cellist, had me clean my instrument with Ronsonol lighter fluid. But, I think I'd use it only on heavy grime, and not on a regular basis. It does disolve grime pretty good.

If you need a solvent AND a bit of cutting power, use the solvent with a piece of wool felt (you can get it in cloth shops and hobby shops in 1' square pieces for pennies).

Clean varnish surface can then be buffed to a nice finish with a clean piece from an old t-shirt.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: