Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ever heard of a "holdfast"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Ever heard of a "holdfast"? Reply with quote

Better yet, anyone ever used on of them before? If you have, did it work okay?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/the-holdfast-in-your-backyard
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep-- they work very well. But I have never seen a wooden one; only wrought-iron, in Michael Klein's workshop. You drill holes in the bench at appropriate places, and drive the tail down into the hole, so that the spring of the tail clamps the short leg down on your workpiece. To loosen it you tap laterally on the back of the hold-down. Obviously this does not work at all if your bench has drawers, as mine does.

Michael Klein used to have a violin-making school in his home shop in Murphy, Oregon, and he also was a prolific maker of anything and everything. Quite a guy. I enjoyed working in his shop. It was well-equipped, spacious, airy, and well-lighted.

His house was a classic timber-built European-style home, as were his out-buildings. All his fences wre hand-made rail fences, and all his workbenches hand-made, as well. His hold-downs were hand-forged by him, as were many of his other tools, fasteners, etc.

He was/is a good instrument maker, too. He was the last student of Victor Gardener, whose real given name was Vittore Giardinieri (and who used that name toward the end of his life, as a violin-maker, at the urging of his mentor, Henry Lanini). So Michael had the Giardinieri school of lutherie.
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever heard of a "holdfast"? Reply with quote

kubasa wrote:
Better yet, anyone ever used on of them before? If you have, did it work okay?

See Gramercy Tools Holdfast at http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71363&cat=1,41637

M_A_T_T (user name on this forum) used them and seemed to like how they worked.

See post about half way down the page at http://z11.invisionfree.com/Stringed_Instruments/index.php?showtopic=25&st=10

Joe
kubasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was familiar with the metal ones but I never paid attention to the fact that they were actually called holdfasts.

I had never seen a wooden one from a branch before. That's what really intrigued me. In fact this has my gears turning. I have a young maple in our yard that the deer completely destroyed rubbing his velvet off his antlers. The bard is completely gone in the mid section. They've done this before and the trees have never survived so I just might have to try to make my own wooden holdfast out of it. I think I'm talking myself into this as I'm typing....

By the way, anyone know if Matt is still making violins? I enjoyed seeing his pics and posted back whenever that was.
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubasa wrote:
By the way, anyone know if Matt is still making violins? I enjoyed seeing his pics and posted back whenever that was.

Looks like after the third on, he moved on to an electric bass and a ukulele. Not sure what he is doing now.
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Stringed_Instruments/index.php?showforum=4
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

If you read the text, they say that the longer part, that goes through the bench, should be about 1 3/8" diameter. They say to drill 1 1/2" holes in the bench. That's not going to happen here! Most metal ones use about a 5/8" hole.

www.wallindependent.com
Bob Sp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71363&cat=1,41637
kjb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to be sitting around a fire you can put that 3/4" rod in the fire get it red hot, smash the end bend it and cut it and make your own. it is about he most basic blacksmithing that you can do. just let it cool slowly don't quench in water.
kubasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking kjb. I try to make as many of my tools, jigs or whatever else I need that I can. Sometimes it just isn't practical but whenever possible, I will certainly try!
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubasa wrote:
I like your thinking kjb. I try to make as many of my tools, jigs or whatever else I need that I can. Sometimes it just isn't practical but whenever possible, I will certainly try!

Tell me about it Smile Here is my latest detraction: a blade hanging cage for the steel hardening kiln.

cheers,
Cosmin
kjb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done! what type of steels are you working with? hardening
wm_crash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt will be O1 mostly because I like how it sharpens and that it is forgiving. I'm supposed to get to it today unless other stuff gets in the way.

cheers,
Cosmin
kjb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some o1 and a2 that I am thinking about, so far all I have done is high carbon. I got an old tempering oven and put a pid on it for programming it works fine.

i live near bethany if you ever go to the beach down here let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: