Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin form to do repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Violin form to do repairs Reply with quote

This might be a dumb question, but here it goes. I saw a guy on youtube that does repairs/restorations and he put the top plate in a form to support the wood when he clamped the cleats on the cracks. So my question is, are the forms made to fit each violin, or does one size fit all. It looked like it was made maybe from plaster? Any one know. I have had a few that the center seams have come apart and I have found it almost impossible to clamp them when the plates are off.
kjb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a general form will work for 4/4 could be exceptions. I made mine from 1/4' aluminum plate. you use it also for fitting the bass bar. You also have a form that is around 3 or 4" thick to lay the violin in to work on it.
THen there is the form that you form fit with plaster. and maybe more that I don't know about.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When glueing cracks, I usually use zipper cleats... here is brief description
https://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6131&sid=8c0b4b483466ec1ef678a7489772e482
I Find it is usually the best way to get everything to line up perfectly.
Cheers... Mat
Ps... here is another link to glueing cracks
http://hudelmayer.com/about-me/articles/hold-on-tight-the-strad-nov-2001-article-on-crack-repair/
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For center joins and full length cracks a plaster cast would be best. It would need to be made close, then scraped out to fit very well. The cast is really only needed for gluing the crack. Cleats can be clamped without it. I don't see how a bass bar frame would help. I have used zipper cleats with decent results.
oldguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the plaster one, would you make a rough form (maybe wood) and then pour plaster in it, put a piece of saran wrap on top, and push the plate onto it until it sets? I have seen curved clamps available. Do they work?
oldguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the clamps are available here.
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: You've got it upside down Reply with quote

"So with the plaster one, would you make a rough form (maybe wood) and then pour plaster in it, put a piece of saran wrap on top, and push the plate onto it until it sets? I have seen curved clamps available. Do they work?"

You loosely attach the plate to a board, cover it with a thin rubber or plastic sheet, build a dam around it, and pour the plaster over the plate. The are not often used for just routine crack repair, but are required if you want to to soundpost or other invasive patches, or if you are doing re-arching.

www.wallindependent.com
oldguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh. That would work. Thanks.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see someone using a plaster cast for a minor job, it usually means he did something more invasive, as LP Reedy mentions. It's too much a bother to make one if you're not doing a big job, but once you have one, some people like to use them in the way of clamping cauls for other jobs.
SooT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that my daughter had never even held a tool when she started her violin and bow making journey, the first task she was given was a piece of wood and told to practice using the gouge to make a form to use to rest a violin on. She still has it and uses it. Being a viola lover, she also made one for viola too. Lined it with self adhesive green baise (or whatever you call it).
oldguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used those clamps? Just thought it might be worth making a form as I get a lot of violins that the center seam is coming apart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: