Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi Everyone! I'm Alan, a big violin fan. I don't play it that well but I really love it, the noble sound and the rich tone.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum! I'm sure I'm gonna learn a lot from you guys!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I can understand your appreciation for the lovely sound of a violin.

Are you starting to learn how to play? Several people joining this forum have recently started the violin - of particular is member "Ode to Tragedy". I hope you can exchange notes - he seems to be advancing quickly.

I wish you best of success.
Stradsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lemuel!

I have studied conducting, theory, composition in college, but haven't been consistent in playing the violin. This instrument doesn't like amateurs, so I've been modestly limiting my efforts... but love is stronger than reason! Smile

I like this forum. I think violinists should join here. I don't know any other instrument that deserves as much discussion as the violin does.
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true! The instrument has no objection to amateurs, it's just that if you are going to play it, play it like you mean to!
Stradsman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like the weak, uncertain violin tones coming from the fingers of amateur or semi-professional musicians. Most pianists who are reasonably familiar with their instrument sound good enough...

If you still don't agree, look up a Hilary Hahn performance on YouTube and compare it to some amateur video posted there.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your sentiments.

However, even great violinists are criticized relentlessly by non-professionals and professionals alike. The questions is: At what point does amateur become professional? Is it by the standards of a particular professional organization? Or is it by the standards of ordinary listeners.

When it comes to playing violins, it is technical and artistic.

Have you seen recent articles in the Strad and other media about André Rieu - how he is making waves in the entertainment industry? Many times, I can barely hear his violin because of all the other music in the orchestra. However millions are loving it.

"Love is stronger than reason...." Hmmmm....
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradsman, if you bow like you mean to bow, (using the right technique) you will learn quickly. If you fear it, you won't. It is as simple as that.
Stradsman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

André Rieu may be popular, but his name never comes up when serious music is discussed. He fits more closely with the likes of Yani. And the existence of such musicians is no surprise. Mediocrity is everywhere. In politics you have Sarah Palin. In philosophy you have William Lane Craig. In TV journalism you have Sean Hannity... These people don't obscure the facts for those who are really interested in them.

Obviously, I don't have a strong case to make. My comments are half-true, half tongue-in-cheek. This much is certain though: If you need to work with a group of musicians playing all kinds of instruments and you can only choose one professional musician, you'd be wise to choose a pro violinist...
Stradsman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict White wrote:
Stradsman, if you bow like you mean to bow, (using the right technique) you will learn quickly. If you fear it, you won't. It is as simple as that.

Thank you, Benedict. I do find that important too.
Stradsman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody wasn't happy about my comment on Sarah Palin and decided to PM me about it. There's a reason why this is called a forum. Write it all in here, if you have something in mind. I don't have much time for private discussions, especially with those who stand up for incompetent politicians in the most arrogant way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: