Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purfling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Purfling Reply with quote

Do any of you out there make your own purfling? Why? What is the advantage? What materials do you use?

I am finishing up a violin using purfling I purchased from Howard Core, its maple outer layers, and pear inside layer. The inside pear wood is more of a tan, and overall ends up darker than the surrounding wood. I like the effect (see top photo)

The bottom is from an early violin of mine using the cheaper fiber/maple/fiber (I think). Same varnish in both instances (the old fiddle is getting a makeover). One of the problems I had with the cheaper purfling is that it would sometimes seperate when heat-bending.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone back-and-forth on the question. I didn't, then did, then didn't now I do make my own. I have found my own handmade to be stronger; readily noticing this when cutting-in my saddles and mortises. The pieces I cut out would tend to fail in the middle of the purfling and fragment with factory-made. The last one I used my own purfling and I had no separation or fragmenting issues. The pieces were equally strong, in and at the purfling to the surrounding spruce.

My factory-made installations also look boring to me in hindsight.

My choice now is to glue slab-cut English sycamore (the same thing as European maple) veneer between two pieces of ebony veneer. I end up with a three-piece chunk that is about 1.6mm thick. I then scrape one side of the ebony to about 1.4 mm, and flip it over and scrape the other side until it is about 1.2 to 1.3 mm thick. It takes more time, but I like it better than what I did before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: