Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Lemuel Violins

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzbosco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Books Reply with quote

Since luthier schools are beyond my budget and my area, I'll be relying on books to learn repairing and making violins. And, of course picking the brains of members of this forum if you don't mind. So my first couple of questions are, do you have any suggested reading; and, concerning the internet, is there any places you have run into where the advice is just bad and should be avoided?

I've bought, "The Art of Violin Making" by Johnson and Courtnall; and checked out from the library, "Violin Restoration: a manual for violin makers" by Weisshaar and Shipman. I've heard good things about both.
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have good books. The Johson and Courtnal is the most recommended construction book at present. A couple of other construction books are Violin Building, Step by Step by Strobel and Violin Making, a Practical Guide vy Juliet Barker. Neither book is as good as J&C but they do offer alternative perspectives which is good.
Strobel's Useful Measuremens is recommended by many and well, useful.
For historical information Antonio Stradivari His Life and Work by the Hill Brothers is a must and though expensive Secrets of Stradivari by Simon Sacconi is highly recommended ( many get it on library loan, it is currently available at ericblot.com for 150). There are a lot of good books that catalogue exhibitions or compile pictures and descriptions of important makers but they are very expensive.
Another good resource are the posters published by Strad magazine

There are no instant experts or gunslingers on this forum plus we have Michael Darnton to keep us straight. On other forums you really have to watch a good while to see who is who to avoid rabbit holes.
jzbosco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspectives, that is one thing Weisshaar and Shipman stress in their restoration book; basically, there is more than one way to skin a cat and that they didn't include every possible solution to all problems in their manual.

Like any book, they can only serve as jumping off points. thanks for the suggestions
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a warning: the time to jump off that book is when they recommend removing large amounts of original material to solve small problems. By memory, specifically, raising ribs, cheeks on scrolls, and feathering out varnish over cracks. There may be other places I don't remember.
jzbosco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning noted: still, I will surely review a few authors and luthiers before jumping in too quick. It's like writing a term paper, sound study only comes by comparing ideas from more than one source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: