Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To restore or not to restore???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apocalips123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: To restore or not to restore??? Reply with quote

Hi,

I just found this old cello and I was wondering if I should let it restore or not?

Here a link with pics :

http://www.kameleonweb.be/CLIENTS/German_cello/celloF.htm

I can see that it has a sound post crack, damnaged ribs, and at the front table there is a piece of wood missing !

I was planning to use it as a second instrument.but I think the reparation cost will be very high?

I am a prof cellist and I would like to have it restored.

Can someone please give me his/her opinion if I should go for it, or not?
AND can someone give me more info about this instrument please?

Thank's so much;

Erwin
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Restored" means slightly different things to different people... but I think the biggest challenge for you will be to find someone who is good enough (experienced eough to be able to add value by their work rather than depreciate the instrument by it) to restore that particular instrument and is willing to take it on. I honestly don't know any good restorers that are hungry for work presently...

The next challenge is cost/end value. I didn't stare at the photos very long, so I don't know what is there that I missed or can't see in the images, but I did add up 7-10K of work without much effort. Could be a good deal more depending. If the 'cello isn't worth at least twice the restoration cost when it's in good order, it honestly doesn't make much sense to do it.

To handle this effectively, I'd suggest locating a restorer who can do the job, get an estimate, and hire an appraiser to give you guidance before proceeding.

http://holmesviolins.com

Last edited by Jeffrey Holmes on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Erwin,

Thank you for your post.

The soundpost crack is nasty, and will certainly have a significant bearing on the value/saleability of the cello. I would certainly second Jeffrey's opinion and encourage you to have it looked at by a good shop or expert in repair and restoration.

I am quite certain that the varnish is original. The instrument is good enough that only a competent luthier should perform the repairs; it would be a shame if it were improperly repaired/restored by an inexperienced person. What is written on the instrument's label?
Apocalips123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply !
No there is no label in it, but there is some handwritten text inside form a French luthhier in Osan? who repaired the cello in 1922.
I think perspnally that it is French also and from around 1890-1900, maybe older??? I know very good luthiers in Paris, but they are very expensive. If the cello didn't' had this long nasty soundpost crack, I wouldn't' doubt ! (-:

Thank's

Erwin

Thank you for your post.

The soundpost crack is nasty, and will certainly have a significant bearing on the value/saleability of the cello. I would certainly second Jeffrey's opinion and encourage you to have it looked at by a good shop or expert in repair and restoration.

I am quite certain that the varnish is original. The instrument is good enough that only a competent luthier should perform the repairs; it would be a shame if it were improperly repaired/restored by an inexperienced person. What is written on the instrument's label?[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: