Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evacuation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Evacuation Reply with quote

Resque squad just came by, told me to evacuate tomorrow morning because of anticipated flooding in my area (I live directly on the South Toe River in western NC). I see a lot of little things, lots of partial bottles of varnish, wood scraps, boxes of block wood, parts, big tools, little tools, tiny tools, sanders, table saws, band saws, stacks of maple and spruce, half logs untouched, air compressor, sjorn carving table, etc.

ACHHHHHH!!!!!!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... sorry to hear of your troubles... If we were closer I'd be there to help.... move some of your high end stock into my shop!!
I've never experienced flooding except one of our apiaries was set in a low lying field and we had to go in with a canoe loaded with stones to add weight to the hives so that they would not bob up... fortunately, water level stabilized and that was that. Biggest rsik was the loss of 10 hives at about $50 ea... that was way back in the 60's.
Wishing you good luck getting thru this ACHHHH!...
Let us know how you make out.... Mat
kjb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that , I live near the coast in de. we have had 4 inches so far and the bays are starting to back up with the east wind for the last 4 days. Hopefully the hurricane will be far off to sea, have not checked this morning. I the water recedes before it gets to anything that you can;t take with you! good luck
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praying for your safety, David.
cmkaco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Sorry to hear this. Photograph everything in as much detail as possible. Document as much as possible. This might be helpful for insurance. Stay safe. Nothing is worth risking your safety or life for. Take care.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on the major rain event. I only packed up a few things, the rest I can live without. A handfull of making books, a garland still on the mold and pieces I'm working on, my graduating caliper, my round bottom planes, and a few back/top wood, the rest I'll just risk.

Because my shop is located down in my "crawlspace" it won't be covered by flood insurance. But, as long as I have the wife safely relocated to a nearby friends home, I'm good.

My home has survived a 100 year flood back in 2004, this is supposed to be closer to 500 year flood. Its like the "Perfect Storm" Had over 16 inches of rain last week, 4 more days of drizzle, and now another major rain event coming and there's no reserves left in the mountains above my home, its pretty saturated.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 1996, we had that sort of flooding here, but I live on a fairly high hill (my well is 700' deep), so this house was not affected, but all such hills became islands.

In the valley below us, once the ground became saturated, a strange thing happened: there had been a defunct gasoline station there for years, with its now-empty tanks still in the ground, and paved over with blacktop. When a huge steel tank is underground, it seems as secure as can be: but when it is empty, and the ground around it becomes water-logged, that huge steel tank becomes a huge flotation device...and those tanks floated. They came right up through the blacktop like a pair of submarines surfacing through the pack-ice. Very impressive. Wish I could have seen it as it happened.

But the rivers went wild, here, that year...entire houses washed away, and people were lost, or left homeless. Flooding is a serious catastrophe. I hope you will be in a safe place, you and your wife.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 5pm Saturday, the weathermen are dialing back their forecasts!! WHEW!!! Those forecasts were scarey. It did have me sorting my priorities.

L P Reedy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they've changed it several times but we've only gotten about two and a half inches today with up to about four or five more (maybe) through Monday. I live next to a small creek but it has never gotten out of its banks in 32 years. It really gets fast, though. Fingers crossed that you won't get any damage.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're back home, turned into a non-event. But it was an interesting exercise to go through. Very Happy

Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I am really glad for such "non-events"!

Blessings upon you all.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... I was travelling this afternoon and listening to the news and they were saying the rain is still coming in SC, and the expression was that they have never had rain like that in the last thousand years... Wow... that's a really long time!
Glad it was a non event for you, but I guess you are inland a good distance.... sure hate to be along the coast, like in Charleston.
All the best.. Mat
SooT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
We're back home, turned into a non-event. But it was an interesting exercise to go through. Very Happy

Let's hope it a non event by the time it gets to UK, should be here by 10th!!! We're 100' up above the harbour, so we should be OK. Also all the wood is in our loft, so on 3rd story of the house.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good wishes. We had 17 inches of rain between Thursday, and Sunday. It seems my neighbors to the south got hit prety hard, so I'm making a special donation to the Red Cross to celebrate my good fortune.

Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Good response!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: