Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting a Viola

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KateB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Painting a Viola Reply with quote

So, I’m planning to paint a design on a viola. I know how much damage painting an instrument and messing with the varnish can do to the sound produced, so I won’t be using an instrument that I play.

I think my best bet would be to use an unfinished instrument rather than stripping a finished viola, but I’m having trouble finding a 16” viola that isn’t expensive. (I’d rather not experiment on something valuable since I’ve never done this before.) Instead, I’m thinking of buying a cheap factory-made viola like the ones from Cecilio or Mendini; that way I don’t have to worry too much about wrecking it.

My question for you all is what is the best method for stripping and then painting an instrument without doing too much damage? My current plan is to scuff the existing finish with fine steel wool to give the paint something to grab on to and then spray it with car paint.

I’d love for the final product to be playable but I know I’d be naïve to think I’ll get a great sound out of it. My hope is that if I’m careful enough painting and I replace the garbage parts (I’ll change out the strings, bridge, and pegs for sure. I might get a new tail piece as well.) I’ll end up with a student-grade viola. Any recommendations for what bridge and other parts to use? I’ve got Thomastik Dominant strings on my current viola so I’ll probably buy the same set for the painted viola.

And if the painted instrument just ends up being an unplayable piece of junk, then I’ll have a cool piece of art to hang on my wall and new viola strings. c:
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go online and look for a 16" viola in the white. I have frequently seen them for less than $200.
KateB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places but the lowest I've found a 16" viola in the white for is $199 plus an $80 shipping fee. I've found them wholesale for way cheaper, but there's a minimum order of 10+ instruments wholesale. (Mind you, I've had no trouble finding violins and smaller violas in the white.)
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the paint as thin as possible and you may not drastically affect the sound. It isn't likely to improve it, of course. For that you would probably need more than paint and the superficial stuff you've listed.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: International Violin Company Reply with quote

IVC has them at $235. They are a good outfit to deal with, in my experience. There are cheaper sources, but...
https://www.internationalviolin.com/ProductDetail/3812v%2016_white-viola-16-----made-in--china
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to give it a traditional varnish but in a non-traditional color. using aniline dyes. You can get your design by masking and spraying different colors. Not sure what you really are trying to achieve other than "painted".

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to strip an old violin first, you'll need to find out what sort of finish you have. If you're goiing to paint over it, perhaps as you said, just take and remove the gloss and give it a go.

In another life, I was an oil painter (landscapes mostly) and I liked to take wood boards and spray it with grey enamel automotive primer, then paint over that.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watercolors would be light weight if you are using a brush and it is a new instrument. An airbrush would be really good too.
Starting with a new or stripped viola using car paint which is lacquer you probably know an appropriate sealer (lacquer based).
If you are scuffing an existing varnish, check to make sure the lacquer doesn't do strange things to it.

I guess though if you are starting with a low end instrument most paint isn't going to really matter, the cheapies are usually encased in a thick bullet proof varnish from the factory.
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Are you a trained luthier? Reply with quote

"My hope is that if I’m careful enough painting and I replace the garbage parts (I’ll change out the strings, bridge, and pegs for sure."

Unless you have the training, tools, and knowledge to do the work, you should leave the existing things there. Pegs and bridges come as "blanks", and must be fitted. The pegs require a peg shaper and reamer. I wouldn't recommend an unfinished instrument, as they often require more than just sticking on some parts, and throwing a coat of urethane (NEVER!) on them. They often require fingerboard, nut, and other work, along with pegs and bridge. I wouldn't even consider stripping an instrument, just give it a light sanding to cut the gloss and paint over.

Try one of these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENDINI-STUDENT-VIOLA-16-15-14-13-12-Natural-Wood-Black-Blue-Purple-White-/300637043286?var=&hash=item45ff5d3a56:m:m2-ClIr6P4iUY1tQAwwaf5g

www.wallindependent.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: