Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quarter sawn/flat sawn neck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violins in MA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: quarter sawn/flat sawn neck Reply with quote

Does it matter? Would a quarter sawn neck be brighter and flat sawn neck mellower? I think the asnwer is yes, but wonder if maybe because its so short and has a FB glued to it, it might not be noticeable?
kjb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I am thinking about this correctly , you need the grain orientation for strength, not sound
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you define quarter sawn vs flat sawn necks, but the usual grain orientation is parallel to the fingerboard surface. That's how commercial neck blocks are cut, more or less. As to sound, that probably depends entirely on how active your imagination is. I can't think of any possible way to tell objectively with all the other variables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: