Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baby bottle warmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violins in MA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: baby bottle warmer Reply with quote

I recall somewhere it said a baby bottle warmer is good for melting hide glue. Anybody have any experience with one? (I can get one cheap)
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about bottle warmer , but here is what I use...
http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-32oz-Hot-pot/dp/B004YTW58S
I then drilled an appropriate size hole and installed a meat thermometer thru the lid to monitor temp accurately... key is don't exceed 140deg F

For small amounts of glue I set a heavy glass tea light/candle holder available at dollar stores (about a 4 oz size) into the water and melt about 1 tsp of granular glue in it. Dilute the granules 2:1 by weight ( 2 parts water:1 part granules)

here is a good site on using hide glue: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Data/Materials/hideglue.html

Good luck!... Mat
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Mat Reply with quote

Mat I use the small jars you get at the dollar store it has a
lid with a seal & clamp if I have any amount left I put it in the freezer
Just don't put the jar in the hot water when frozen let it thaw out first .
Wishing you all a Healthy Prosperous new year Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen bottle warmers recommended many times but have been unable to find one except online. These days I use a small microwave almost exclusively. Takes a little experience but then it is fast and convenient. And it will warm coffee, too.

Another thing that I've used in the past was a potpourri pot. Some of them work well and others don't get hot enough. I would grab the bottle warmer.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a potpourri warmer I picked up at a good will store for $3. That and a discarded yeast-jar. I used the first jar for about twelve years, until the lid rusted out, then got another, identical jar, when another yeast jar went empty. Smile Potpurri warmer has worked faithfully for 16 years now.
violins in MA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L P Reedy wrote:
I've seen bottle warmers recommended many times but have been unable to find one except online. These days I use a small microwave almost exclusively. Takes a little experience but then it is fast and convenient. And it will warm coffee, too.

Another thing that I've used in the past was a potpourri pot. Some of them work well and others don't get hot enough. I would grab the bottle warmer.

Yeah I did get it, it's like a baby bottle steamer, with a water reservoir. I may dismantle it and put an unused dimmer on it and bypass the electronic timer &c. I hate that electronic stuff you get dependent on it and then it just breaks..
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mat Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
Mat I use the small jars you get at the dollar store it has a
lid with a seal & clamp if I have any amount left I put it in the freezer
Just don't put the jar in the hot water when frozen let it thaw out first .
Wishing you all a Healthy Prosperous new year Ken

Ken, I like the small jar with lid idea.... I don't use glue every day, not even every week sometime... so any left over glue gets chucked. With the small jars that won't be a problem.
Cheers... Mat
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Glue Reply with quote

Mat I think I the idea came from a post on freezing glue from
Michael Darnton a long time ago
I think the Idea is so Bacteria cant get started
Works for me ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: baby bottle warmer Reply with quote

I picked up two baby bottle warmers at the used discount store for $3 each a while ago. I used a small bottle to hold the glue but am now using small yogurt containers. This setup works great.
I have used the Hot Pot similar to what Mat mentioned and various other methods but the baby bottle warmer seems to be the easiest to setup and maintain the temp.
Joe
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my glue at 135-140. I have an old sauce pan on a hot plate, throw in some water, then a small pyrex desert bowl, about 4" across, a teaspoon of dry glue, water to suit. I find that when the water in the pan starts to boil, my glue is at the temp I like. Wait too long it gets a skim on it. I also save those little cat food tins, then I can just throw the whole thing out when finished. I seldom save glue, its cheap, goes bad. With all the effort you put into making a violin, why cut corners on glue?

For me, I'd be surprised a baby bottle warmer would get hot enough, but a baby bottle sanitizer might do the trick.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joseph Leahy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
For me, I'd be surprised a baby bottle warmer would get hot enough, but a baby bottle sanitizer might do the trick.

Hi Dave
The products I have are made of plastic and are baby bottle warmers, not sanitizers. They have a dial to control the temp. Turned up, the water can get very hot, at least well over 160F. I can't turn them up all the way or the glue will get too hot in the container. They hold a constant temp and work great for me.
Joe
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Leahy wrote:
The products I have are made of plastic and are baby bottle warmers, not sanitizers. They have a dial to control the temp. Turned up, the water can get very hot, at least well over 160F. I can't turn them up all the way or the glue will get too hot in the container. They hold a constant temp and work great for me.
Joe

That sounds like it would do the trick. But again, 160 is scalding, I'm surprised it would get to that temperature.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that will heat the BOTTLE much quicker to the desired temperature. If the warmer only gets to 100ยบ it will take forever to heat the bottle.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in a family of 6 kids, don't remember anything about bottle warmers. I remember glass bottles, boiled on the stove. Milk warmed in a sauce pan. ( and outhouses, yada, yada).

L P Reedy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Dave, me too. Never heard of a bottle warmer, even when we had our kids, until I got on the internet. Most stores have stopped selling them new, probably because they get hot. They sound kind of neat, but with all my other options I certainly don't need one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: