Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vibrato problems with index and pinky finger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mariko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Vibrato problems with index and pinky finger Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I've started to play the violin 7 months ago and I am really enjoying it! Now and then I have been doing some vibrato exercises but just a couple of times to not rush things because I didn't want to ruin it. Someone told me that if I try to hard I will never achieve a nice vibrato Confused Question

But this month I really wanted to get started with vibrato to make the pieces that I play more beautiful. And I was able to produce something that sounds a bit like vibrato with my second and third finger. I think I could make vibrato with the pinky finger work too. But my first finger?? Seems completely stuck, can't move it a millimeter... Who can give me a suggestion?

I'd like to share a video of me playing Southwind with a first attempt to do vibrato on some notes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xRZWXrL2k[/code]
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mariko,

Welcome to the forum. Ok...vibrato....

There are several different types of vibrato, but I'll tell you the one which I think is the most straightforward to
learn and which I think works best for most people.

It's very important to keep in mind that the first joint of each finger (i.e. the joint closest to the nail) be as
supple as possible. This is the joint that will be moving the most.

The second thing is not to press on the string more than you need. Many beginners wind up pressing the string
way to hard to make the note. It is good practice to find the minimum finger pressure needed to sound a note.
This will also help you to play faster passages as well.

To explain now, what exercise to learn without showing is difficult. I would suggest this exercise.

Start by placing the finger you want to vibrate on any string in first position. Slide up the string towards the body
of the violin, then slide down the string back to first position. You are essentially performing up and down glissando.
Now pay close attention to the first joint of that finger as you slide up. It should be most bent, causing the tip of the
finger to touch the string. As you slide down, the bend of the first joint should decrease, almost flattening out, which
would cause the full pad of the finger to touch the string.

Repeat the sliding of the finger up and down while you maintain full suppleness of the first joint. Perform this
exercise so that you can play an up and down glissando once per second. Once you get used to this, decrease
the amplitude or range of the glissando, keeping the same speed (per 1 second). You do this by starting in first
position as before, but don't go as high up the string as before. Keep decreasing the range of the glissando
relative to first position until you come to a single point on the fingerboard. You should find at this point that you
are playing steady slow vibrato.

Please let me know how you do, then we can go on.
Mariko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lemuel,

Thanks so much for your explanation of the exercise!!! Smile This is really going to help me a lot.

I'll have to work hard to get the first joint of my fingers to be this supple, but I think this exercise is great! I'll be doing that and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again! And have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: