Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making purfling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomigv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Making purfling Reply with quote

Question I have made 2 sets of purfling using .6 mm veneer one is white brown white, and the other is brown white brown. The brown is mahogany , and the white is maple . Each strip of purfling is about 1.8 mm wide . an 2.5 mm thick I was planning to use this as an alternative to the white black white, which though traditional, does not appeal colorwise to me. I would appreciate your input. I was planning to use this purfling for guitar and violin making ???
Jack H.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit lost.
Traditional purfling is black white black.
White brown white would get lost on the white of an instrument and end up looking just like a single strip of black.
Also if the purfling channel is not perfect, there will be visible glue lines in the white black/brown white purfling making it look bad.
tomigv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Shalom jack, thank s for the tip. Laughing
tomigv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I made 2 sets of veneer purfling the wbw was 2pcs of maple between walnut veneer . The second was 2pcs of walnut betwen maple veneer. I used a test sample board of white basswood and inlaid a traditional purfling of black white black, and a walnut maple walnut purfling on each side then gave them each 3 coats of a shellac based varnish. The white black white definitely jumps out a lot more . I will be using the walnut based veneer purfling for small instruments and guitars
violinarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 mm thick is a bit too thick. Most violin purfling is in the area of 1.2 mm thick.

If you go to The Strad Magazine site, there is in the downloads section a nice pdf article by Kai-Thomas Roth on purfling.

http://www.thestrad.com/hdownloads.asp

"Trade Secrets: September 2007

To download Kai-Thomas Roth's article on making purfling, "

Just click on the 'click here'.
tomigv

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised thank you ,could only read part of the article, as the rest of the print was too small to read
violinarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomigv wrote:
Surprised thank you ,could only read part of the article, as the rest of the print was too small to read

In the Adobe Acrobat reader at the top is a function that lets you blow up the page to whatever percent you want. You should be able to enlarge the page to be able to read it comfortably enough.

Mine comes through at 164% rather well.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacconi in Secrets ... p. 109 says Stradivari's purfling was 0.3, 0.6, 0.3 (black, white, black.)

At the Portland VSA I was taking notes from one speaker who said Stradivari's purfling was 0.4, 0.6, 0.4.

In any case, you have the idea.

Mike[/i]
tomigv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip mike. I used .6 mm veneer , as that is what I found at the local woodcraft store. I will use this 1.8mm for guitar work . I checked in my purfling parts and found a small amount of the 1.2 mm purfling. It seems that individual makers in the past all had their own idiosncratic ways of making purfling, depending on which european country they came from.
David Tseng

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use maple veneer to make purflings, the black ones are dyed with iron acetate/tannic acid. I prefer 1.2mm thickness because I only need to bend the ones for C-bout. Also the veneers are "tenderized" with glycerin to prevent breakage.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Sources of Good Purfling? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a source of good, quality purfling? I really do not want to make my own.

Mike
M.Lange

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy mine from Thomas Herrmann http://www.purfling.com/english/home.htm and I am very satisfied with it. It is very accurately made and the glue joints don't come apart during bending plus his prices are very reasonable.
He will also make purfling to your specifications, if needed.
I recently bought 50 strips of 0,3mm fiber/0,6mm poplar/0,3mm each 80cm long. It cost me 17,50 Euros.
But you are probably looking for some source in the US, right?

Matthias
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Tseng wrote:
Also the veneers are "tenderized" with glycerin to prevent breakage.
I tried this (glycerin) using a 6/1 water/glycerin solution, all my purfling (maple/pear/maple) delaminated with or without heat and the layer outside the bend still splintered. I tried bending a piece after 24 hrs of soaking, then 2 days, then 4 days, with and without heat -- without success.

If I make my own purfling, would it not be better to use another glue that is impervious to water? If so, what would that be?

Or, should I be using a 100% glycerin solution to "marinate" the purfling?

By the way, I really like this maple/pear/maple because the pear already has a brown hue, and takes on more the color of the varnish rather than the stark white. I like the subdued result. I get it thru Howard Core.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't soak it at all. Try a 10% glycerin solution, dip it and wipe off, let dry. Use heat as needed. Works for me. We just went over this in Chet's Marylhurst thread.

For making your own, I suspect that Titebond II would be fine but I don't make my own. Mine comes from IVC.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, didn't look there. I have a new shipment in now, I'll give "dip it and wipe it off" another try.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: