Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin Makers Competition 2017 Southern Violin Association

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Violin Makers Competition 2017 Southern Violin Association Reply with quote

[img][/img]

The Southern Violin Association announces its first VIOLIN MAKERS COMPETITION will be April 20-24, 2017 at a conference facility in Black Mountain, North Carolina, about 15 miles out of Asheville "The Mountain Capital"

Violins Only this time out
Must be less than 5 years old
Must not have received any previous awards
There will be a Novice category for a maker that has completed less than 10 violins
There will be an award for a high scoring maker from the states identified in our logo
More than one instrument can be submitted, but acceptance of additional instruments depends on overall participation, to ensure everyone gets at least one violin entered before we reach a limit.

For a copy of rules and application email me at davidwchandler@outlook.com or mail to David Chandler, 201 Riverlinks Drive, Burnsville, NC 28714 USA.

Thanks a bunch for reading this! Appreciate getting the word out early so folks can start planning.

[/list]

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little more information, jurors tentatively are (may be one or two more but these have confirmed their participation)

Kelvin Scott
Chris Germain
Pablo Alfaro
members of the Charlotte Symphony

Two venues are under consideration, we will be making a decision later this summer. The Wildacres Retreat in Little Switzerland, NC right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The other is a conference center 2 miles from Black Mountain, only 15 miles from Asheville.

JUst want to give everyone a heads' up so they can make plans if they don't place at the VSA this fall.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone that gave to our "Go Fund Me" drive, we've been able to take out an ad -- Look at Page 70 in the Strad Magazine.

Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have about 40 attending, and 35 instruments submitted, with lots of room for others. Just 2 months left.

JUDGING STAFF INCLUDES:
CHRISTOPHER GERMAIN, PAST PRESIDENT, VIOLIN SOCIETY OF AMERICA and DIRECTOR OF THE OBERLIN SUMMER VIOLIN-MAKING WORKSHOPS
JOHN MONTGOMERY, a consultant and advisor to the collections of classical stringed instruments at the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.
MULTIPLE GOLD MEDAL (VSA) WINNER KELVIN SCOTT
PROFESSIONAL VIOLINISTS FROM THE CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY
SOUTHERN VIOLIN ASSOCIATION BOARD MEMBER PABLO ALFARO

Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Southern Violin Association Competition Results Reply with quote

RESULTS OF 2017 VIOLIN MAKERS COMPETITION

EVENT HELD AT WILDACRES RETREAT, VILLAGE OF LITTLE SWITZERLAND, NORTH CAROLINA APRIL 20-23

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNING VIOLI N MAKERS

Workmanship Awards
1st Place - Alvaro Corrochano - NYC
2nd Place - Cameron Robertson - Atlanta, GA
3rd Place - Jennifer Halenar - Nashville, TN
Cert. of Merit - Ed Byler - Bonners' Ferry, Idaho
Honorable Mention
Joe Thrift, Elkin, NC
Greg Tracy, Raleigh, NC
Ed Byler, Bonners Ferry, ID

Tone Awards
1st Place - Jack Rasmussen - Arlington, TX
2nd Place - Ed Byler -- Bonners Ferry, ID
3rd Place - Ivan Ivanov - Arlington, TX
Cert. of Merit - Ray Leicht - Tuscaloosa, AL
Honorable Mention,
Jennifer Halenar -- Nashville TN
Ray Leicht -- Tuscaloose, AL
Adam Gotry/Greg Tracy/Dustin Fagg Team
SOUTHERN MAKER AWARD -- Highest scoring maker from the Southeast Region, combined tone and workmanship
Jennifer Halenar - Nashville, TNH
NOVICE MA-KER AWARD -- Highest scoring violin made by a maker or eligible team with less than 10 violins completed
team of Adam Goltry, Greg Tracy, and Dustin Fagg

COMPETITION JUDGES were
Kelvin Scott - Knoxville, TN
Chris Germain - Philadelphia, PA
John Montgomery - Raleigh, NC
Pablo Alfaro - Atlanta, GA
Juan Ramirez - Atlanta, GA

DonLeister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for making it happen Dave!

I really enjoyed getting to meet and hangout with so many people that love the violin. The Wildacres Retreat was unexpectedly terrific!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: