Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd position for "Hungarian" Dance and "Winte

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sihtam

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: 2nd position for "Hungarian" Dance and "Winte Reply with quote

Hi,

I have started to work on those two pieces, and noticed than the second position seemed to be helpful from some parts of them, especially when it gets high pitched.
However I am not yet used to play in any other position than the "open" one, and I was wondering a few things :
First, is the 2nd position really the best choice here ?
Then, for any position, is it better practice to play in the same for the whole piece ?
Here are the two partitions I'm using :

http://www.free-scores.com/PDF_EN/brahms-johannes-danse-hongroise-no-5-en-fa-mineur-45660.pdf

http://www.violinonline.com/images/sheet/winter_vln_melody_fourseasons.pdf

I hope my question were clear, I am not really fluent in English, and even less for the technical terms.

Thanks,
Sihtam
JG

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's traditional to introduce third position before second. But you could start learning second anytime really. You should get a method book with lots of exercises for both in-position playing and shifting between positions. I'll recommend the Doflein series (Schott publ.), vol. 3.

Are you playing the Brahms in A minor (trumpet key) or in the "real" key of G minor (as in the piano part)? Maybe instead of going up a position you should just go down a key. Very Happy

Sounds like you're working without a teacher? Dangerous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: