Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photo Background

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Photo Background Reply with quote

OK, so the Black is more dramatic, but the white background leaves the colors more correct.
[img][/img][img][/img]

I see where the black background would help with selling, but the white background is helpful in documenting color tones. Same lights, same location, same camera. I have to admit to adjusting brightness and contrast, but not color.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful instrument, Dave, ...for sure the black background is more appealing. I was always amazed at the quality and color of the instruments posted by Manfio... I looked again & he uses black background.
Thanks for posting ... My learn for the day:)

Off topic, but ... I am curious about your set up... The afterlength of the violin string is usually in the order of 57-58 mm, and that usually translates into the end of the tailpiece being quite close to the saddle... but yours is forward of the saddle by maybe 1/4 "? Is there a reason for that? ...or am I missing something?... or does it matter?
Cheers, Mat
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tailpiece was a bit short, because the bidge is setting right at 195, string length right at 325, and the afterlength 55mm. Surprised me when I set it up to find I had to extend the tailpiece gut out, usually I'm pulling it back.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you shooting with a camera whose exposure you can set? If not, the difference just results from an auto-exposure program being influenced by the background. (But only slightly, because the violin fills the centre.) With auto-exposure, a background of about the same darkness as the fiddle should give the most realistic colours. Or use a spot meter to set exposure.

Still, both photos show good detail. And yes, good looking fiddle!

Hmm: the more I look, the more I realise there's more detail and less shadow in the white shot than the black. So I take it you're setting exposure manually? But maybe there's an auto colour balance feature in your software?
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG:
I used a photo processing feature that let me change light, contrast, and bring out shadows, till I got the "feel" I was looking for, and one of my objectives was to make the black towel in the background, turn truly black. On the white, I don't believe I did any adjustments.

The objective was to see which background, black or white, made the violin show best. Even the composition was meant to please the eye, less so the brain. If photographing for documentation, you wouldn't even take this shot, but straight on front, back, sides, etc.

JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Dave. I like both shots. The black has more "drama", but I feel I see the details of the instrument a little better in the white.

Anyway, you're certainly on the right track, both in the photography and in the making!
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reproducing the colors of a violin is important and not easy. I do not like the bright iridescent glow of some photos such as the one with the black background. I want to know what the color IS or nearly so. The glowing photos have no useful information. Our modern digital cameras are making adjustments that can mislead us.

Recently I started experimenting by putting a color wheel alongside the violin being photographed. I've been adjusting the photo to agree with the wheel, but the camera seems to have a mind of its own. LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: