Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rib Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Rib Repair Reply with quote

Thought you folks might like to see a recent repair. Lady on a limited budet, an old fiddle of low value, so this is a one-afternoon job. Imperfect, but sturdy repair.

First image shows crack with my lamp inside the body (top off)

Next photo, rib is cleaned up, linings removed.

[/img]

Made a clamp to fit curve of the original rib, supplies to do repair

New rib clamped in place -- notice I added some cork to outside of curve, and lined with wax paper both sides so clamp won't stick to rib.

Here new rib spliced in and linings added. Because I had "feathered" out the ends of the new rib, I should have taken a little off the inside center of my clamp to put more pressure on the ends of the new rib.

Then a little touch up so its not so noticeable.

I'm still putting top back on, then touch up outside. But, again, this was a "quick and dirty" repair, and also gave me a chance to look about inside and tighten up a couple loose linings, reglue bottom block which was about half attached, and a couple other things that needed touched up. A sturdy repair, not sure it would pass muster with high end restorers, but there it is.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Dave... That is exactly as I do it for student quality instruments, but like you say, the experts may have other more refined methods. For those who have not seen it, here is a good article on the matter. (following the description of the rib protector)
https://trianglestrings.com/category/techniques/instrument/
Cheers, Mat
ollieken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: repair site Reply with quote

Thank you Dave for the rib repair pic . & mat for the site address
A lot of information there Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kjb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: