Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

screw controlled blade adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: screw controlled blade adjustment Reply with quote

[img]/Users/michaelwynn/Desktop/IMG_0629.jpg
I managed to get my mini-planes working but found the wedge securing method unreliable. I removed the cross piece used to fix the wedge, drew a line parallel to the blade seat through the empty space, bored two extra holes beside the empty wedge holder and joined them with a hole saw on both sides. I then took a metal cutting1/16 thick, 1/2 in. wide and 1and 3/4 in long, bored an under sized no.8 hole then put a tap of size 8 through it. A number 8 sized bolt was screwed into the metal bar after it was inserted through the parallel slot .The blade can now be held securely against the seat by the size 8 screw and can be more finely adjusted. Others may have originated similar solutions but this is what occurred to a tyro at violin making but versed in other skills.I hope the photo comes out but the details given might suffice.[/img]
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvio,
Your photo has to be on a web hosted site, like Flikr.com or Photobucket.com, and then you can post it here using the image button above. This forum only pulls them up from other locations for display purposes.

Notice the "Sticky" at the top of the list of subjects in this forum.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: finger planes Reply with quote

This is how I tend to do them:

It works well, regardless of the size I have made, though, of course, the larger ones have heavier blade and cap iron. (That is a quarter, there, below, and a violin scroll, for size comparison. I made that plane when I was building a bass. It is pretty heavy, for most people, but it works OK.)

Last edited by Chet Bishop on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
elvio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: mini planes Reply with quote

Chet,
A superior and quicker method than mine. Quite glad however that I was thinking roughly along the same lines as a maestro. Look forward to reading some of your previous articles when , no doubt, I will absorb useful information.
The problem now is to think of what to do with the metal cross pieces littering the bench.
Glad to hear from you and best wishes.
michael wynn
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... glad to be of service.

I'm certainly not a master, with only thirty instruments under my belt. Still a relative newbie, trying to improve.

The Spanish word "maestro" means "teacher", though. I do a fair amount of that, so maybe...
Smile

BTW, that little hickory plane is my best one for ebony (inside the fingerboard underside, etc.), which explains all the black residue worn into the sole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: