Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bridge trimming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: bridge trimming Reply with quote

When carving a new bridge, the heart wing is very delicate and can easily break... quite annoying when that happens Surprised

Question... what technique do you use to ensure the delicate heart wing does not break? Do you do it first or last?

Cheers, ....Mat.
kjb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught by ( hans nebel ) to make up a bunch of bridges ahead of time, put a drop of super glue on the wings and heart, and let hang up in your shop. this stiffens the weak parts . and use a sharp small knife .
kjb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, a chisel works well .
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people cut that thing off anyway. The usual (I think) recommendation is to trim the delicate parts first so that there is less chance of breaking them off when you plane the faces. I use a 3mm sharp chisel to skim the points off, and always take thin cuts. I've broken two or three and glued them back.
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: bridge Reply with quote

Hello folks .On the trimming the wings . What is the reason for trimming
I have seen fancy cuts on them some just shaved both sides dose it help
the sound or just for looks when cut nice .

https://www.google.ca/search?q=violin+bridge&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6VwOUYGELuTWyQG6goGABA&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1304&bih=747
Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ctviolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridge trimming (in this avenue) is mostly an aesthetic consideration. The bridge, in this aspect of construction, is mainly an aesthetic thing. The aspects of trimming and the aesthetic " looks" of the bridge - are mainly considered in a contextual aspect.
Sound versus - anything else ...

The workability of such a thing, (a bridge design, and construction ) is merely incidental to its appearance. If it works well - then fine. I not, then well - it is considered inappropriate,

Good luck with this aspect, as it will render its own verdict.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a curved knife and slice at the heart, some brands break more easily than others in my experience.
Franciscus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonLeister wrote:
I use a curved knife and slice at the heart, some brands break more easily than others in my experience.

Second that. According to my experience, the Tellers can withstand much worse torture than Auberts, for example, if we are talking about - say - middle level bridges.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I finally figured out to do.... the jig has wood pins so that I am always cutting against something firm.... works well.
Cheers, Mat

Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: bridge trimming Reply with quote

Mat, This is a good jig idea you have come up with. Thanks, I will make one to use on my next bridge trim.
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Bridge Trimming Reply with quote

Mat Good Idea with Dowel`s for the bridge jig .

Craig Nice to see your reply I thought Maybe the man behind the door was on your case again as we have not heard from you for a while hope all is ok with you. Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: