Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

humidity and corpus glue-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actonern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: humidity and corpus glue-up Reply with quote

In Ontario, Canada, the humidity swings between winter and summer are dramatic and the swelling and shrinking effect on wood equally so.

I've found that the best time to glue the top/back plates to the rib structure is at a time of year that approximates the "middle" of the humidity cycle... around November and March.

This approach (I'm an amateur with no sales pressure!) may not be feasible for professional makers. How do those without the luxury of time approach this issue? A cello top, for example, can in my environment easily shrink 5 mm between maximum and minimum humidity cycles. That is a recipe for saddle cracks etc.

Old stable wood is an obvious advantage, but I wonder how a body glued up in summer will preserve stability of tone in the winter months...
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: humidity and corpus glue-up Reply with quote

actonern wrote:
This approach (I'm an amateur with no sales pressure!) may not be feasible for professional makers. How do those without the luxury of time approach this issue? A cello top, for example, can in my environment easily shrink 5 mm between maximum and minimum humidity cycles. That is a recipe for saddle cracks etc.

By controlling the humidity in the shop (humidification/dehumidification).

http://holmesviolins.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: