Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No corner blocks & Paganini stamp ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ken, did you guys get "iced up" again? or was that further east?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken... where was the crack? An extra sip of that medicine you have , and you'll never notice!
A common problem is where the saddle is fitted too tight.... then the crack starts at either end of the saddle where the plate can't shrink
Cheers, Mat
Rick M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat, I expect you were looking for response from Ken, but thought I'd put this in.

It appears to me that this kind of f-hole crack is fairly common too. I guess I'd like to hear a little bit on this. Is this kind of crack (this location) just because that is where the plate is weakest or most vulnerable to damage? Or is there a carving technique or something that mitigates it in better instruments?

Second, since it's not an uncommon repair, is there a technique to use to reduce the visibility of the repair? I saw something on guitar repair that used a mild oxalic acid solution to lighten.
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Mat Reply with quote

Hello Mat The split was in the top joint seam & one away from the saddle . The neck was broken off at the slots where the ribs to go into
also no neck block .I was told how to glue it up & pin it with a wooden pin

Rick No we missed the ice the second time & Mat you know that a little .sip of the medicine made by the lite of the moon helps sometimes
not to worry NB gov .& Justin will have all us seniors on Marijuana soon
& we wont have a worry & I will be able to throw my walking cane away Yipeeee

ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rick M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long delay I finally got this one finished up and playing again.
So all in there was;
- cheek repair
- new neck block and reset neck
- patch a couple of cracks
- new bass bar
- re-graduate both top and back plate
- new fingerboard and nut
- new saddle
- new pegs, sound post, bridge and strings

Everything ready to go, I happily strung it up and it sounded........AWFUL!! Really, truly terrible........

But, having read lots of the adventures of others I persisted. I made some adjustments to the sound post and bridge and after a week or so of being strung up and played it has settled down to be a nice fiddle. It has a bigger voice than I expected but I think that with a little more time and use it will be a pretty good student instrument.

All in all a pretty good project to learn on. Thanks for the advice - here and on a couple of other threads.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Rick!
what's worse for me than a fixed fiddle that sounds awful when you first tune it up, is one that sounds great and then goes downhill after a few days and weeks... that is discouraging.
Give your fiddle some time ( couple of months) to settle in and then make a new soundpost, do various ajustments one at a time. You will be surprised how well it can respond.
Also... when not in play, keep it out in the open exposed to voice/noise/music... that will help liven it up.
One other thing I like to do is give these old instruments a varnish rub... finger rub varnish into the cracks and dents & all over ... then immediately wipe it all off fairly thoroughly... that leaves just a micro thin layer of violin oil varnish. That does not affect the character and livens up the look. I do about 1/4 of each plate at a time
Rick M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat, thanks. Good suggestions, I hadn't thought of varnish. I sealed a couple of spots with shellac, but didn't want to go too far down the path of "refinishing." I'll give that a try.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, touching up with spirit varnish or shellac is a tricky task... it can go down hill real fast! ... that is why I use just oil based violin varnish for touch up.
Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: