Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New player looking for resources.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: New player looking for resources. Reply with quote

Hey people, hows it going?

I just started playing the violin just over a month ago after having considered it for a while. I have to say I love it (although I am not very good at it yet), and I expect my love for the instrument will only increase as I get better.

On that front however, I was wondering if people could suggest learning resources on all musical fronts regarding the violin (and music in general), from theory (playing and composition), to practice techniques for playing, ear training, and more.

I am pretty much looking for anything anyone has to offer, as I am hungry for knowledge and new methods to help me master my instrument. I am taking private lessons, but there is only so much my instructor can show me in the half hour a week I see him, and I want to start the self learning process to accelerate my progress.

Thanks in advance.
Verdi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew, you should state a specific question, you might get more response. Your question was a little broad. I understand your enthusiasm, I just started playing too. The internet is a great learning resource. But it's best to get a teacher. Good luck.
Andrew B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean by my question being broad, but that was intentional because I am looking to study a broad spectrum of information.

I am currently taking private lessons, but there is only so much my instructor can teach me in my weekly lesson, and I am sure his knowledge will not be as broad as the collective minds of a community like this.

Basically I just want people to describe how they would study and train for the different facets of playing (their practice routine I suppose). Technical ability, ear training, etc... The goal is to assimilate some of the methods I like so I can accelerate my own learning.

Thanks.
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For music theory, go on half.com or ebay and buy an old edition college textbook. My theory class used Tonal Harmony by Kostka and Payne...I loved it. It's one of the few textbooks I didn't sell back to the bookstore (and it's on my bookshelf right now).

"Violin Playing As I Teach It" by Leopold Auer is a great book by a famous violinist/teacher on different violin techniques. Galamian's book (I don't recall the name, but a search for Galamian and violin should bring it up for you) is highly recommended by some of my violinist friends.

Practica Musica is a computer program many music schools use to give aural practice / ear training. I don't remember the names of the sites I used to use (Someone, I think it was Amalia, mentioned one in a recent post) that have free ear training...you may have to search to find one, but they are out there. Practice intervals and sight singing so that you can see your music and hear it inside before you the note actually comes out on your violin.

Some company (it may have been Shar, www.sharmusic.com) had videos of masterclasses online (masterclasses are when an accomplished musician works with other musicians of varying levels and teaches them). Does anyone remember what the address for that site--or if it's even still up and running?

As far as practice routines go, spend a lot of time on technical things (scales, etudes, etc). Don't ever just play something. Always have a goal and something to work on. When you play your scales, focus on your intonation, your bowing (how straight it is, is it a smooth, even sound). When it gets too easy for you, practice different rhythms, add another octave to your scale and play in higher positions, practice with a metronome and see how fast (but cleanly) you can play, practice scales in thirds (playing two notes at the same time, a third apart)...the possibilities are endless. I've heard of concert violinists who still spend an hour on scales. My violin prof at school was always practicing scales. They are the foundation.

It was a very broad question and I hope what I said helps a little. I remember having the same enthusiasm when I first started playing. I did a lot of reading and also went to a lot of concerts (we have a great orchestra nearby) and just watched the violinists. Read all you can. Observe all you can. Practice all you can. Have fun, and good luck!
Andrew B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly what I was looking for Becky. Thank you very much.
Becky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley just gave this link in a different post (thanks Shirley, I've been trying to remember the address!), but I thought I'd add it here too, for the sake of completion. This is the link to the masterclass site: http://violinmasterclass.com/mc_menu.php
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky - it couldn't be easier, could it - but I always have to look it up, too!
Alison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Resources for teaching yourself Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,
I am a re-beginner, so my experience may be a bit different than yours, but I am finding the two books by Simon Fischer 'Basics' and 'Practice' to be fantastic, if you can be patient and read the text, look at the photos and then be strict about plodding through the exercises. He explains reasons behind every step, drawing on other teachers eg Galamian that someone already mentioned. I also have Yehudi Menhuins '6 lessons' but I find that very limited and much harder to follow than Simon Fischers books. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: