Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unusual neck joint using wedges
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Robo-jig Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. One of the fun parts was coming up with a way to quickly hold the top and back together and level up either side of the joint. I'd seen the conventional straps and clamps but didn't want to spend money buying a lot of them so I made this swinging multi-clamp jig. You just put it in unglued, and tighten everything up the swing iyt open glue the joint and swing it shut tweaking as necessary. It actually worked, needs some refining of course. I just need another wreck to turn up so I can use it again.
rs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good. On violins I make, I usually find the neck settles down about 2 mm or so in about 6 months. On repairs, not much change. One thing you could do to change the neck angle is to pop the top off and re-glue the top while flexing the neck down a bit. If a small slot were cut in the top where the neck comes into it, the top would still line up all around. Players don't usually complain about neck angle, though. Only if the string height is high or low compared to the board.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS makes a good suggestion, something I've done before, but didn't come to mind. The photo of the finished violin is really stunning, it looks fantastic.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wayland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I must thank you all for your encouragement and helpful comments through-out this project.
Lots of respects from me
Jim Cooper
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Wayland....
an easy unorthodox fix for your high neck angle...
Remove the fingerboard, Glue in an ebony finger board wedge with thick end at the nut... probably will need less than a mm or so. You might want to fully assess the overall fingerboard thickness to be sure it is on the thin side to make playing easier. Usually the fb is 4.5 mm along the edges, you might want to drop it to 4.3 with a 42mm radius surface... that way when you add the wedge it won't be too thick.... and don't forget to fully carve out the underside of the fb.
Also, while the fb is off, check the stop length ratio so that if not quite right, you can slightly adjust with the nut before all is glued back.
Cheers!... Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: