Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help identifying violin (label pictures inside)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodWoodTone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Help identifying violin (label pictures inside) Reply with quote

Hello,
A local reputable shop is working on this violin. We are trying to identify this violin. He said the wood is "the real deal" - meaning it's old and of good quality. Any input is much appreciated.

Here is the video https://youtu.be/0HQaE_KwL9A

Thanks in advance!
JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by "identify this violin". All you've shown is a label. Do you think the label is inaccurate? If so, show us the violin.
GoodWoodTone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "identify this violin". All you've shown is a label. Do you think the label is inaccurate? If so, show us the violin.

The label is genuine. Sorry I do not have a picture because the repair guy has it on his bench and the top is off. We are trying to find out if anyone has heard of this maker. He checked his books and nothing matched up. I searched the web and this forum (prior to joining) to see if anyone might know or have some insight. Any help is much appreciated.
JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surname is hard to make out. Are you reading Johann Heinrich Glass? There was a Johann Glass building professionally in Leipzig in the early 20th century. But with name only (no place or date) this could be an amateur.

The rest seems to say "after Santo Saraphino, xxx Venice in the year 1790". Santo Serafino died in 1776; your luthier can tell you if your fiddle has anything to do with his model.
GoodWoodTone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG wrote:
Surname is hard to make out. Are you reading Johann Heinrich Glass? There was a Johann Glass building professionally in Leipzig in the early 20th century. But with name only (no place or date) this could be an amateur.

The rest seems to say "after Santo Saraphino, xxx Venice in the year 1790". Santo Serafino died in 1776; your luthier can tell you if your fiddle has anything to do with his model.

Thanks - were not sure if it's Glass. Here is a new video of the violin.

https://youtu.be/Ilep0Jtl0_0

--
Wayland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Through neck Reply with quote

What a coincidence, it looks as though it has a through-neck joint like the one that I have just resurrected. Perhaps they are not as uncommon as I thought. Now I know what to look for.

FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so late with this reply. I don't get on here too often. The violin has all the signs of being a plain old Mark/Schoen cottage industry violin from around 1900, or a little earlier. Through neck, no upper corner blocks, faced over lower corner blocks. I've seen quite a few like it. Definitely NOT what the label says!

www.wallindependent.com
Franciscus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiddleDoug wrote:
Sorry to be so late with this reply. I don't get on here too often. The violin has all the signs of being a plain old Mark/Schoen cottage industry violin from around 1900, or a little earlier. Through neck, no upper corner blocks, faced over lower corner blocks. I've seen quite a few like it. Definitely NOT what the label says!

Through neck as a sign for the MkN/Sch around 1900?
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: No, but the corner blocks are pretty typical- Reply with quote

No, but the corner blocks (or lack of) are pretty typical for that era and pedigree. The through neck can date somewhat further back. I always tell clients that if they couldn't see it from the outside, through the f holes, it often didn't get done well. Examples of that would be no upper blocks, fake lower blocks, roughly carved interior of the top, etc..

www.wallindependent.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: