Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bassbar fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: bassbar fitting Reply with quote

Just finished glueing in the bassbar . it went pretty well except I think I applied too much pressure on the clamps. When the light hits it at a certain angle you can see the faint outline of the bassbar from the top. Also when glueing the plates to the ribs should I apply a thin layer of glue then let it dry before I do the final assembly. Rick M. seen the clips of your final project it looks amazing the colour is somewhat what I want. I have also built many things from wood and this violin build is the most challenging, so much to learn and figure out and how to actually do it. But I am really enjoying it . Thanks for all the help and guidance along the way from this site.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual cause for seeing the bar on the outside is from washing off the glue squeeze-out off with a lot of water. That washes glue into the wood, which swells and then freezes in that position because of the glue. Next time use the tip of a small metal rule, or something similar, to scrape and lift off the squeeze-out without washing, and I think it will go better.

Also, you should use a strip of something on the outside to diffuse the clamp pressure--I use a long strip of matte board, some people use a strip of thin wood.

But too much water is usually the problem.

If it's a new, unvarnished violin, you can scrape out the problem before moving on.
Greg M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: bassbar fittingI Reply with quote

I gave the top a light scraping and it seems to have removed the bassbar impression. Thanks for sharing that with me Michael D. I would have just left it because I figured that sanding or scraping would have made it worse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: