Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

violin positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: violin positions Reply with quote

could someone clarify how to know what position to play in on the sheet music. I have been practising on my own and through the internet for about 2 years. I the suzuki 4 book there is numbers above and below the same note. Some of the sheet music I ordered on line are 3rd position practise material but I think the numbers above the notes are in reference to what finger to use. I am kind of confused and stuck on this bit of learning
JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arabic numerals on violin music indicate fingers. Most players and editors only put them at the points where the player is to change positions. So for example a D scale that runs up to high D will only show a 1 at the high A, meaning shift to third position at that point. But in instruction books you may find more complete fingering.

Some editors use Roman numerals to indicate which string (I for E, etc.), others use the letter names for that purpose. And a few use the Roman numerals to indicate position, so that III means to play in third-- but this would be found only in study material.

In general, for solo violin playing you are left on your own to work out fingering, so you'll see different players taking the same passage in different positions. But in an orchestra, normally everyone uses the same fingerings and bowings. Hope this helps.

[PS: Arabic numerals above and below the same note probably refer to alternative fingerings.]
Greg M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: shifting positions Reply with quote

ok I understand what you mean. That is really confusing when your trying to thi nk this out and land on the right string. Is learning another position after 3 as difficult as going from 1- 3 is . thanks for the reply
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: violin positions Reply with quote

Here is a useful exercise if you want to become familiar with different positions. Play a major scale starting on open D and ending on the A string
Only use the first finger to play this scale . Play open D and E first finger , then keep the hand in position while the F# is played with first finger. Then shift into 3rd position for the G. So you are reaching for the F# with first finger . Continue the scale on the A string in a similar way .
Coming down the scale you are in 3rd position with the first finger and now keep the hand still and reach back to C . Then shift to first position with the first finger on B. Then change to the D string in 3rd position and continue down to open D.
That teaches you the position movements and the second position reach from either side (upwards and downwards ). Second position is used far less than 1st and 3rd but the reaches teach you where they are. Not exactly "Where they are " , more what they sound like. The sound is your guide. Each note of the scale has to be in tune but repeat the one finger exercise to "Train" your hand to find the notes efficiently . If you do it once and not again you will not be training your hand and brain .Fingers have a very direct connection to the brain. They like practice. Think of chewing your food . It`s repetitive and you don`t think about it . Basic violin movements can become like that . It gives you more time to think about the music .
In 3rd position the base of your wrist can feel the body of the violin .Your brain is absorbing this information even if you are not thinking about it . Try to work with your brain and notice helpful position sensors as your hand moves around . This is more basic and vital than a piece of music with unknown positions . Try to work out the positions yourself and see how it sounds . Try different ways to compare .
Sometimes 2 repeated notes can be more interesting if you change fingers for the second note . eg third finger on D giving G ,and then first finger in 3rd position giving G (again ). The audible change is what they call Violinistic . It adds a little stress that is more expressive .
Henrik Stromberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG wrote:
Arabic numerals on violin music indicate fingers. Most players and editors only put them at the points where the player is to change positions. So for example a D scale that runs up to high D will only show a 1 at the high A, meaning shift to third position at that point. But in instruction books you may find more complete fingering.

Some editors use Roman numerals to indicate which string (I for E, etc.), others use the letter names for that purpose. And a few use the Roman numerals to indicate position, so that III means to play in third-- but this would be found only in study material.

In general, for solo violin playing you are left on your own to work out fingering, so you'll see different players taking the same passage in different positions. But in an orchestra, normally everyone uses the same fingerings and bowings. Hope this helps.

[PS: Arabic numerals above and below the same note probably refer to alternative fingerings.]

Thank you!Very clear explanation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: