Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken tip
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the tardy reply. The repair method is very tricky requiring much patience and, I'm afraid, a skill level that I don't have. Derek drilled the holes from the inside of the break before gluing with the G2. He thought everything out carefully and we had a discussion about where to best position the pins for this particular break. He drilled the first hole, and then after painstakingly measuring everything under magnification, he drilled the opposing hole. He used an Archimides drill for optimum control. The "pins" were very fine broken jewelers saw blades, 4 or 5 pieces fitting into a tiny hole. After gluing, he tied the whole thing up with string. It's always a great idea to do a mock-up tying session before you actually try gluing. G2 does have a long open time though, so no need to panick at all when tying after actually gluing. (There are various proportions of resin to hardener (in G2) for different applications. For pernambucco, I believe it is 2 parts resin to one part hardener. ( Anyone else have experience and suggestins in this regard?)

I hope this helps. Making a spline works well too if you are careful to set everything up well before hand. In some respects it's also more honorable in the sense that a blind repair, as above, is not self evident as a spline is.

Best wishes,

Stefano
M.Lange

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stefano,

thank you for explaining. But I think I better try to spline it. I think that is hard enough for the first time.

Matthias
Geemac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Bow repair Reply with quote

It is useful to know that cryogneic glues use a tiny amount of water to activate. I also might look into the use of a pin vice to make room for a very small dowel for inside support and more area for which your glue to adhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: