Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maple plate joint glue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubasa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Maple plate joint glue Reply with quote

So as not to hijack the other post which is slightly different I decided to start a new thread. When I plane down my maple billet book ends, I end up with a shiny, smooth surface - eventually. Knock on wood since I've never had major problems with back plate joints separating but at a microscopic level, what is going on with the glue? With the spruce, I know that a fair amount is soaking in and creating a strong bond between the two pieces. However, with maple, how much soaking in is really going on to create the bond or are we relying more on the glue strength? If that is the case, are bonds on the maple book or billet ends weaker than with spruce? The reason I ask this is because it always seems like I'm gluing glass together because my maple is literally shiny from planing and there doesn't seem to be much of a porous surface for the glue to soak in.

Sorry for a rather odd observation that is probably insignificant in the scheme of things but it's one of those curiosities that I've often wondered about.

James
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theory is that glue is stronger than wood, however I've never seen a maple joint that wouldn't break on the glue joint. Because of that contradiction with "lore" I share your curiosity about this.

I do know that unlike epoxy and white/yellow glues, hide glue depends on glue sinking into the pores, not an actual glue line. I know that too much heat, too fast to the clamps, and too much pressure makes for a joint that will fail because all of the glue is squeezed out. Such a failed joint looks obviously bare of glue. White/yellow glues always have a skin of glue in the joint that can be seen and peeled off, no matter how good the joint and how tight the clamping.

I know that the old Cremonese makers scratched the joint with something like a toothed plane blade used carelessly diagonally all over the joint to rough it up before gluing, so they must have had problems, to need to think of doing that, and when I remember, I also do it. I don't know if they were trying to break the glaze you mention or whether it was to provide some space in the joint so that all of the glue wouldn't get squeezed out.

Some people speculate that the old joints aren't glued with hide glue, because very few of them have failed over time---very few. relative to later makers' joints. The usual suspect for a substitute is casein glue.
kubasa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. I hadn't realize the part about about the old Cremonese makers roughing up the surface a bit. It makers sense. I might have to try that myself. This question always comes to mind every time I glue up the maple billet or book ends and then I move on and forget about it.
byacey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps introducing scratches into the gluing surface tears the wood fiber enough to help the glue soak into the end capillaries of the fiber, allowing for a stronger joint.

Michael, have you ever utilized casein for a center joint? I wonder if the surface treatment would be the same as for hide glue?
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have.
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byacey wrote:
Perhaps introducing scratches into the gluing surface tears the wood fiber enough to help the glue soak into the end capillaries of the fiber, allowing for a stronger joint.

Michael, have you ever utilized casein for a center joint? I wonder if the surface treatment would be the same as for hide glue?

Bill, is that you - my fellow Ukrainian friend? I don't make it over to the other forum much so we haven't conversed in a while. Hope all is well. Have a Merry Christmas.

James
byacey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis' I indeed! Merry Christmas!

I just finished fighting off a bout of the flu; somewhat back to my (ab)normal? self.
Just got back from procuring some wheat this afternoon to make Kutya for Christmas eve.
kubasa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your back to health. Kutya is wonderful stuff. Enjoy! I'm sure my Dad will have a large bowl prepared as always.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: